Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween with the Shanahan-Vines!

We survived our 1st Halloween in the house – BARELY!  How do people do Halloween with dogs?!  And how Kennesaw did not get shot by a neighbor because of her barking/wailing/someone is killing me cry is beyond me.  We had to lock Mulligan upstairs with Kyle and we tossed Kennesaw out back (and I am pretty sure she had flashbacks of being dumped by her original owner and our bond is forever ruined – I will be sure to hug her tight tonight) to bark and howl at every sound she heard as I handed out candy!

Kyle ate a lot of our candy (go figure) before Halloween hit, so we had to take 2 trips to the store so we had plenty to go around and a good mixture too.  Sadly, we didn’t get a lot of trick or treaters (I blame the big hill leading to our house), but those kids who did trek up our insanely steep hill and driveway (or driven up the hill) were rewarded handsomely with a handful of sugary goodness (and barked at by Mulligan from the top of the stairs)!  Oh, and Kyle was cute and he swept the porch for all the kids. 

But Halloween has changed drastically since I was a kid.

Example 1:  TRICK OR TREAT is no longer said by kids.  I was saying it (and Kyle was making fun of me and telling me that I was not the one who was supposed to say it – really, who cares?).  The kids just shoved their bags and buckets in my face.  Without even a thank you!  When I was a kid, houses made us tell jokes and sing songs.  We had to work for that Hershey bar!

Example 2:  The kids were being driven by their parents.  And what was weird is that we had a lot of cars turn around in our col-de-sac as if our house and pumpkins were not good enough! When I was kid, one parents covered the door and passed out the goods and the other parents took the kids from door to door.  We walked miles and miles for the candy!  We dumped our pillow cases out in our house before hitting the other neighborhoods!  Cars?  How about feet?!

I wanted to dress Kennesaw up like a shark but Kyle wouldn’t let me – called it a “waste of money” – but how cute would that have been. 

Well, we survived the 1st Halloween in our house even if it was kind of a bust with only a handful of trick-or-treaters.  Hopefully next year will be better!

No comments:

Post a Comment