Sunday, October 30, 2011

Big Pumpkin 5k :: Race Review

I ran this race 2 years ago in the cold and rain.  Honestly, it was pretty miserable but it taught me a life running lesson: if rain is predicted pack a change of clothes.  But this year I got a tiny bit luckier.  Clear skies make for a great race but holy moly was it cold.  But still great weather once you got moving.
Morning: as usual, I had all my race gear laid out so all I had to do was quickly change, brush my teeth, throw my hair in a pony tail, take out the dogs and feed them and go. (okay, actually, that sounds like a lot.)  BUT  I had shorts and a tee planned so I got to dig for capris and then walked into my closet a few times wondering if I should grab a running jacket and decided no (which may have been a bad idea or may not have, I am still unsure)  ...I was somehow not running late as I got on the road.  Which was good, because I live WAY farther away now than I did a few years back.
Pre-Race: I remembered from 2 years back to get their early because parking can be a pain, which was not the case this year.  I grabbed a parking spot quickly and then headed to get my race number, which a few years back was a cluster but this year was flawless (despite the woman in front of me that wanted turn by turn directions of the course)  Once I got my race number I headed back to my car to stay warm and then 10 minutes before the race started I got out to settle in and people watch.  And oh there were some characters and way too many Auburn fans.
The Race:  Since I am slow and out of shape I of course lined up near the back semi in the middle, which obviously was not needed.  I remembered that the race had some "great" hills (as the website describes them) so I wanted to start off slow and not burn any and all energy that I had. The start was kinda a cluster since we had to run through his arch that was not big enough for crowds to run through  but once my iPod was on I settled into a slower pace that I felt comfortable with.  I started picking people off, one after the other. We approached our first hill and I thought um that is not bad at all and trucked up it with ease.  Still, picking people off.  As we approached the 1st mile water stop I was still going (say what?!) and took water from a guy my age in a LSU jacket and told him "thank you and Roll Tide" (I just had to!)  What was the best about this race was that it was smaller - still some people who have no idea about racing and race etiquette - but it was good.  The hills were not bad and most were followed by a down hill.  What I am kicking myself for is around mile 2.5 I realized that I wasn't going to PR (thinking my PR was like 31 minutes) so I let myself walk a little more to take my gloves off and have some easy breathing.  SO WRONG.  I totally going have PRed had I not taken that breather.  But oh well.  You win some you lose some. 

Most importantly - I finished strong.  I wasn't winded - I didn't overextend myself at any point during the race.
Overall it was a good race - really well organized - super easy course - the finisher shirt is great - still an ultimate favorite. 
But newbie runners please remember these tips:
1. If you're gonna walk, line up at the back not the front.  Weaving around you isn't a lot of fun.
2. If you're gonna run with your dog, make sure they're leash trained and maybe have run with you in the past.  Nothing is worse than having a dog all over the place).  My dogs  = horrible, they will never run a race with me.
3. If you're looking for your run buddy - don't stop in the middle of the course and look around - pull off to the side to continue your hunt.

Finishing time: 34:13
Pace: 11:02
I was 564 of 970

Can't wait to see race pictures.

just a reminder -- i am always interested in hearing about your races and what you loved and hated - so if you want a guest spotlight on my blog -- email me  (barbara.a.vines@gmail.com) a mini race report about any race you have done and i will share it with my readers.  hey and you may get more blog followers.

2 comments:

  1. Great job on an awesome race girlie!! I always line up at the back just to not be in the way and work my way up! Some people can be ridiculous with lining up near the middle/front and you have to weave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was wondering which 5K you did. i enjoyed that one last year. glad it went well for you-and glad you getting back into it :) i’ll let you know when I run a race and give you a recap!

    ReplyDelete