Thursday, July 8, 2010

I'M ENGAGED!

I have been anxious to talk about this all week, but with my parents on an Alaskan Cruise with zero cell reception, I didn't want them learning the news through my blog. I wanted to actually tell them on the phone (even though I know that Kyle asked for my Dad's blessing... so that had to have some sort of idea).
Kyle and I have been dating for over 3 years, lived together for 2, he moved 600+ miles from DC to Atlanta to be with me, and we have a fabulously awesome dog together. We call us our little family and I rely on him for pretty much everything. He is my best friend, my rock, the boy who drives me absolutely nutty, but can make me so happy and turn my bad days around. Obviously, being a girl I have been pestering him about when he would pop the infamous question. I thought it was happening on my 26th birthday. When I found out it wasn't, I cried. If I wasn't running or with his family (since we were visiting home) or with friends, I was crying out of disappointment. *I know, I'm absurd* I would always ask WHEN?! And I would threaten "I am giving you 1 more year and I am out" (total empty threat & if you know me, most of my threats are empty). And he would tell me, "not till we move back to VA" and "I cannot afford it" or "I have to buy a car" and "if you keep asking me I am gonna keep pushing it back a month". Little did I know, his wheels were turning in his head and he was planning on asking while living in Atlanta and when I was pestering him.
I am a traditionalist. Kyle has known that it was very important to me for him to talk to my Dad first. Kyle listened and sneakily, he asked for both my parent's phone numbers (in case of an emergency he told me...) Kyle called my Dad last Friday from the parking lot of the ring store, to of course get his blessing, and let my Dad know how much he loved me (aww) and that after 3 years he was ready to ask me to marry him. He ordered the ring the same day and the following Tuesday it was ready for pick up. :o) Kyle had the whole thing planned out for Saturday (aka, tomorrow) but he said he just couldn't wait. He had to ask. (what can i say, I'm irresistible)
When Kyle and I first started dating I had a dream that Kyle took me to Ireland and asked me to marry him in front of a castle with a pink cupcake. I had told him about the dream and ever since it has been a running joke in our relationship. I had no idea he had plans to incorporate it into the real proposal and I live my life so oblivious most days that I didn't put it together as the whole thing unfolded. Kyle told me he was taking me to dinner at Johnny Carinos because he heard it was good & didn't want to cook. So I got in his car, telling him that I had to be home by 8:00 because I had a tv show... I kept nagging him that I better be home in time. Little did I know I was about to be given a sparkly ring for my left hand. Kyle took me up to Discovery Mills (to go eat) and as we pull into the mall parking lot he zips right past the restaurant. Cue sassy attitude and I was telling him he missed the turn and I had to be home by 8pm for a TV show. He told me that he wanted to just "look around" and we stopped in front of Medieval Times and the castle. I told him that I didn't want to go to Medieval because I had a TV show at 8. He ignored me, took my hand and kept walking. We didn't go in, but stopped by the drawbridge outside and Kyle handed my a cupcake, with pink icing (just like my dream). Since I had no idea that a proposal was coming, I was wondering why we were at Medieval and why I had a cupcake (I told you, I am oblivious to the obvious). Kyle just looked at me and got on one knee and honestly, I do not know what words were muttered other than "will you marry me". As he hit 1 knee I immediately started tearing up and put my hand over my mouth (putting pink frosting on my cheek) and kind of turned my back to him because I was in total shock. I of course said YES!! and covered his face in kisses. We totally forgot about putting the ring on my finger because he was shaking too much and I wanted to make sure he had asked my father before hand and I couldn't help but cry. Finally I got the ring and it is absolutely gorgeous. See picture and ignore my awful spray tan that was wearing away and looked bad in between my fingers. By the looks of this close up I need lotion ASAP!

He bought a ring that he could afford. He did not want to buy something out of his price range and then make me have to pay for it after the "I Do's". I always thought I wanted this huge, blind people, rock on my left hand but this diamond is beautiful and so sparkly and just the right size and amazing. I love it more than anything he has ever given me (even the Tiffany Bow Earrings & Necklace). We did dinner at Johnny Carinos after and talked about his convo with my Dad and the convos he had with his parents. He told me how he had the whole thing planned out but didn't want to wait and he wanted me to cry (and I did). And I couldn't stop looking at the diamond and smiling!
I had to wait like 3 days to tell my parents and they told me they're excited and happy for me. My Dad told me to tell Kyle next time he calls to use his words because when he called he was stammering and quiet, of course making it seem like I was dead in a ditch somewhere. It means so much to me that they like him and approve (my dad says he is an 87%).
it is now onto planning and dress shopping and the guest list and flowers and CAKE and bridesmaids and registering and music and colors and venues. We have to set a date first (I know it won't be during football season), lets just say the glitter and excitement is fully there. I am buried in wedding movies and magazins. I am already looking at venues (and am in love love with one in the North GA Mountains and in love with another in Dalonega) and colors and cakes. I am imaging a shabby sheik, Anthropolgie inspired wedding and engagement pictures in an Orchard or Cotton Field. I want wild flowers and paper lanterns and a barn. I want my super talented friend Kristin to shoot the wedding and engagements. Something so unique that when I look back on the pictures I just say WOW. ...ok ok, maybe I have given it a lot of thought!! I will for sure keep everyone posted... looks like we're transitioning to a wedding/running blog! :o)
....oh and i do not regret it, but with all the excitement and phone calls to make and people to celebrate with i have run 0 miles this week. My 7 miler on Sunday is gonna suuuccckkk..

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!!! How exciting. I was the same way about the ring I thought I would want this huge overpriced rock on my hand but my husband picked it out a ring he could pay for in full all by himself and it was just perfect, very much me. at the 10 yr mark though I love my ring i am gonna be looking for an upgrade though. :)
    Have fun planning your perfect day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! Congrats, that's so awesome! I love the castle and cupcake :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think congratulations are in order. So - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, and I hope the two of you have a long, happy life together. My wife and I are celebrating our 21st anniversary next week, and still your story made me a little misty.

    Take care,
    Todd G (from dailymile)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, congrats to you both! I love it when guys ask the father's permission! My hubs asked my dad too - I told him he had to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY! Congrats Barbs:) Can't wait for all the dinners involving plans!

    ReplyDelete
  7. congratulations!! after being married for just over a year, I can attest that it is simply the best. :]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!!! What a beautiful story!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!!! I can't wait to hear all of the wedding details!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! What a sweet, sweet man and your ring is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. congrats, congrats! that is awesome.
    all the best for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, so in my absence from the running/blogging world, I totally missed this.

    CONGRATULATIONS!!

    I'm so happy for you! You have lots of planning to do! I was just glad when it was over, lol. BTW, I have some advice.

    1. Don't let family guilt you into letting people you don't really like be in your wedding party. You will regret it later when looking at pictures, lol.
    2. Research a good photographer that isn't outrageous in price. If you go with someone who only charges $600, you will be greatly disappointed in your pictures. However, $3000 is way too much to pay as well. Go to one of those wedding expos and talk to different photographers, and look at their portfolios!
    3. Pick a venue that has breathtaking views, so as to make your wedding pics even more breathtaking.
    4. Don't get upset if your man isn't very helpful in picking stuff out for the wedding. He loves you and just wants you to be happy, so whatever you decide is what he wants.
    5. Go with a good hair dresser and have a pic in hand of what you want. Again, don't let family guilt you into letting your third cousin, who used to be a hairdressor, do your hair.

    I'm sure there are more things, but that's all for now! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete