Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Blast900 -- review number two.

I know I reviewed Blast900 a few months back.  But I feel like I did not give it justice.  I had gone once and took to my blog talking about it.  By no means am I an expert or a pro at it -- in fact I still struggle every single time I go -- but I feel like I can give it a better "review" now that I have gone 4 or 5 times.

I thought by showing a video you may get a MUCH better understanding of what goes on at Blast900.  It is not an easy hour long workout and it really is for people who want to be pushed and want to work.  But if you stop reading here I will let you know that I 100% recommend it.


Blast can and will seriously kick your butt.  The nice thing about it is you work 100% at your own pace but with a push.  When on the treadmill you work at a runner, jogger, or walker pace and me ... yeah I start as a jogger and then rotate between walker and jogger ... but when "walking" ... it is not a stroll in the park it's a power, must get to the sale at the mall walk.  The ultimate goal - to burn the 900 calories, but I highly doubt I have ever actually burned 900 calories.  You rotate between the treadmill (running, sprints, crazy steep hills) and the floor (core work, arms, back, weights, bands, balls, if it can torture you - they have it) -- it is killer fast interval work.  Each class is 1 hour and each "block" is a certain length of time.  Most recently for me it has been 5 minute blocks (5 minutes on the treadmill, 5 on floor, 5 on treadmill, 5 on floor ... got it?) but there have been 10 minute blocks and shorter than 5 minutes.  Last night... we did 1 minute on the treadmill, 1 minute of work around the treadmill... 1 minute back on 1 minute off (hello pain).  

Each time I go I ask myself why I keep doing this to myself.  I have never sweat so much when working out.  But I keep going back because I know that I get an amazing workout there whether I burn the 900 calories or not.  What I really like about it is that the instructors (as tough as they are) don't really call you out for slacking - they gently nudge you to say I see you and there is something about their way of saying it or looking at you that you feel like you're letting your parents down so you up your speed or you don't hold onto the treadmill for dear life (even if you stop holding on for just 5 seconds HA!).  The people who teach the classes are just positive and peppy and there is something about the music that drowns you out. 

Every week and workout is different so I never know what pain I am stepping into, but that is kinda nice.  I am REALLY hoping that this tones me for my wedding and gets me faster and stronger for my running.  I never know exactly how many miles I run each time I am there so I guess around 2.5 since my treadmill always says 4+ .... but since we keep them running when we're on the floor I never really know.  But I know the sprints (which I'd like to thank Richard for giving me the confidence to actually SPRINT) and the crazy hills will get me stronger and hopefully faster.  I will report back after my half marathon in October!

The first class is always free so if you're in Atlanta and have not yet tried it out or if you are passing through for business and want something new -- they have locations in both Buckhead and Dunwoody.  Tim Tebow even did Blast when he was in town a few months back.  And... of course let them know that I referred you and report back on how you like it! :o)

1 comment: