Friday, September 9, 2011

… Big Peach Sizzler 2011 Race Recap …

I just may have lost my brain but because I have run this race the past 2 years I decided why the heck not and ran it again this year.  I love everything Big Peach and I have always liked this race so even though I knew I was not prepared nor would I be on race day I decided to run it just to see how it would go and how I would be able to handle 6.2 miles.

 bigpeach

Saturday I had a few errands to run around the Buckhead area and I slipped into Big Peach to pick up my race number and packet.  I like having my number and shoe tag before the race so I do not have anything to worry about.  Sunday night I got my race outfit and gear ready for the next morning and Monday morning I was up bright and early  (after hitting the snooze button about 6 times) to let the dogs out, to grab something quick and easy to eat and then head to Chamblee to run 6.2 long miles. (The past 2 years I lived basically at the starting line, but we moved so I had to drive there this year.) 

The race… it went as well as I expected it to and I expected it to be unpleasant.  No lie, I woke up with a cramp behind my knee that I just could not shake (I’d like to blame Mulligan and him taking up the whole bed for that one…).  I decided to just take the race slow, walk when I needed to walk and run when I could.  I lined up on the right side and in the middle of the pack and was off.  Mile 1 was good.  The hill wasn’t hard (thanks Blast) and Mile 2 went well too (minus the bigger hill that I got 75% up and then took a walk break). Tropical Storm Lee decided to ran on us starting around mile 2 (for me) so needless to say it was a rainy race.  I found a good steady groove around mile 3 but with that said I was doing a methodical walk/run and ran more when the song got me going.  My body started to hurt around mile 4/mile 4.5 but I was kind of picking people off and passing people which as fine in my book.  Mile 5 was the hardest and I was so happy to see the finish line partially because my body hurt and partially because I was wet.

In years past I had complained about water stops not being stocked and that was not the case this year.  I think out of the past 3 years I have run it – this year went the smoothest.  The post race party/expo thing was kind of a cluster, but I will blame that on the fact that they had to move it underground so it was more crowded than it had been in the past.  Truthfully I grabbed my shirt and bolted because the parking deck underground was H-O-T and I needed air and away from stinky runners.  The shirts are a bright neon no cars can say they didn’t see me coming orange (worst than traffic cones) but I will still rock it from time to time.

Once again… Big Peach put on a great race.  =D

Finishing time: 1:15 Average Pace: 12:03

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on a great race girl!!!! I didn't know you're doing Rock n Roll Savannah! Or maybe I did? We should meet up and maybe get lunch or dinner while we're done there!

    ReplyDelete