Friday, February 3, 2012

Let me self diagnose my pains.

So I have been working out - not really running - but working out.  Pure Barre, Blast900, walking the dogs ... all the jazz.  Not sure why I have not really embraced running - I think I want to blame the fact that it is dark when I get home from work {works for me} ... but I have been trying to stay active and this week I have noticed some pains.  All in my right leg.  In my ankle and my inner knee.

So my ankle. It hurts where I put the arrow.  Something called the calcaneo-fibular ligament. I don't know what that thing is or what it does and google isn't really helping me self-diagnose the pain and where it came from but all I keep seeing is the word sprain.  So I am thinking I tweaked it Monday at Blast900.  That's all I can think since we were sprinting and doing hill work and treadmill work for half the class.  Or I could have messed it up on a transition from the treadmill to the floor.  I got nothing, but it hurts.

And then there is my knee.  Again. with the picture and the arrow of where it hurts.  But I will tell you again I have no idea how or why.  So per this picture, the pain can be one of three things. 1. meniscus tears. 2. collateral ligament tears. 3. arthritis.  None of which sound all that great so can I just call it something less. But I am thinking that if my knee had legit tears in it I would KNOW.  So I of course went to google again to self diagnose and thankfully, I do not have tears.  If I had tears evidently I would be bruised and swollen.  And I am not.  Nor do I feel like my knee is going to give out.  Therefore I think I am just getting old or just have the normal aches and pains that come along with working out. 

So needless to say: I am not broken.  Nor will I be walking down the aisle on crutches {awkward} ... but I do need to take it easier.  But... I have a half marathon next weekend in Birmingham.  And we all know I am the queen of running marathons and half marathons unprepared.  But I have never run a half marathon both unprepared & with a knee and ankle that have ganged up on me.  So this should be interesting.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment