Monday, May 16, 2011

Brookhaven Bolt 2011–Race Recap

I cannot believe it has taken almost half a year to run a race.  I have been crazy lazy this year and I have a half marathon coming up in November so I thought I would kick off training by running The Brookhaven Bolt (that is how I kicked off training for my 1st half marathon and it worked).  The Brookhaven Bolt was the 1st 5k I ever ran 2 years ago so I feel the urge to run it each year, but last year I told myself  i am never running this race again but there I was Saturday morning at the start line.bolt.

I got up Saturday morning after hitting the snooze on my phone 2 times to see that rain was in the forecast so I began to hope that the rain would hold off.  Brushed my teeth. Got dressed. Grabbed my iPod and Garmin and I was out the door.  That parking situation was MUCH better than previous years.  A designated area rather than having to fight for a spot on the neighborhood street .... and the walk to the start was not too bad.  BUT then I noticed people walking back to their cars with their race bags and thought great, they're handing things out pre-race and I was 100% right.

I get to the race number pick up spot and for the 3rd year in the row is was an utter disaster area.  I went to my "designated" line (U-Z) to pick up my number, told them my last name VINES and I got looked at like I had 456 heads.  The woman did not even talk back, just stared. I then asked "am I in the wrong spot to pick up my number" and then I got a "no" just a no.  So again... I said Vines and more stares.  Finally I got my race number and was shuffled to get my shirt and race bag.  Even bigger cluster.  Then I had to walk back to my car.  So between parking to the race start, race start to car, and then car to race start my Garmin said it was a 1 mile walk.  AND.... Me getting their 45 minutes early to warm up and stretch was gone.  I had used it walking and picking up my number.

So, the race started and it was smooth.  For once it appeared that people lined up in the right spot.  The dogs and strollers were in the back (I did get passed by many of them though).  The course was awesome and for the 3rd year in a row it was different – but a good different.  At one point I actually thought, this is the easiest course so far and then BAM we rounded a corner to a huge hill and the hills just kept coming.  BUT!  I made myself run up at least 50% of each hill.  75% if I could.  I think the last mile was the hardest mile – originally I thought it was because of the hills (then I looked at the elevation map) but I think it was more because my legs were tired from pure barre yesterday and then the actual running. The course was fully stocked with water (my guess: they learned their lesson from last year).

I could have PR'd if the last mile was not so hilly and if I had not lost so much time on the 2 water stops ... excuses aside, I am pleased with my finishing time and performance , but I am way past pleased with my 34:47 finishing time.  My 5k PR is 33:39, so I was just about a minute slower than my best ever 5k.  Which means my hilly hilly neighborhood is making me stronger and better.  Now... if I would just run more.

The weather was nice.  Not too hot not to cold not really humid and the rain held off.  The skies actually opened up about 5 minutes after I finished and started to stretch. I will do it next year.  My only complaint was the registration area.  Maybe next year that kink will be worked out.

Likes:

  • The course - pretty, not too hard, and the little families on the course were so super cute.
  • The post race "festival" ... fully stocked with food and water and super awesome vendors.
  • The starting area was clearly marked & the radio guys helped everyone know where they were going.
  • The shirt, classy ... but I do hope they move past cotton sometime soon and onto something wicking. 

Dislikes:

  • being given my race and race bag before the race.  i lost all my time to stretch and warm up in the walking back and forth.
  • the race number pick up area.  for the past 3 years it has been nothing but disorganized.

Highlights:

  • Seeing my friend Ty from college and catching up.
  • Realizing that I was not going to die and was close to my PR time.
  • Being reminded how much I LOVE running & running local races.  Gotta find a June race!! =)

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know about this race, but saw a lot of people on Marta when we were coming back from my son running the Peachtree Jr the same day.

    I would have been ticked about them giving out the race bag etc before the race too. It is one thing if all the parking is very local, but if people have to walk any distance at all it is just wrong.

    ReplyDelete