Friday, May 20, 2011

the great shirt debate.

as I was walking to The Brookhaven Bolt this past weekend I began to remember one of the things that irks me about races.  And I will be the 1st to say that this pet peeve of mine is probably petty and absurd but that is fine.  I will also say, as I lined up at the start, there was a group of 4 that were talking about “when it is ok to wear a race shirt” and as much as I wanted to chime in I did not.

So.  When is it okay to wear a race shirt?

In my opinion: when you’re running for fun or training, but not at a race.  a race shouldn’t be a walking billboard for all the other races that happen.  when you’re laying out your race clothes, what makes you grab a race shirt?

Hear me out.  So you’re running a 5k and people have on other 5k shirts.  You’re like okay, you’re at a race, we know you're a runner or someone who enjoys running… you don’t need to broadcast it on your chest.  And same goes with a 10k shirt, we got it… you run. If you’re wearing a half marathon or a full marathon shirt, I think you’re just showing off.

If you look at the hardcore speedy runners – they’re not in another 5k or a marathon shirt.  They’re in a regular running top or a shirt that has a big logo across it.

I know a lot of people feel that their marathon or half marathon shirts are badges of honor and they earned that shirt … and yeah you did (well. maybe you did, since so many expos give out the shirts there…) but I just don’t think a local race is a place to flaunt your accomplishments.

And… I am sure many of you disagree, but that is fine.  What are your rules on race shirts?  To wear or not to wear at races?!

13 comments:

  1. Most of the time, the race shirts are made out of cotton... So I never wear them running - race or training. I'll wear em on the weekends when I'm hanging around the house or doing nothing important.

    Now, if others wanna flaunt their cotton shirts off at a 5k then so be it - I feel sorry for them because they'll be dying when they're done.

    If the shirt is technical, sure wear if you'd like, but I'll still feel bad for ya because your race photos will suck because your outfit looks like a hot mess :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've worn a tech long sleeve race shirt to a different race because I didn't have any other long sleeve tech shirt. I never thought about other people being offended! Apologies to those who were.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you make a good point. I definately don't wear race shirts to any local races that I do. However, when I run races in other states, I almost always run in one of my Houston half marathon finisher tech shirts. I see it as a way of saying I'm from Houston, not that I'm advertising for our race.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd vote it's okay to wear if it's comfy for you. However, I wouldn't want X race's shirt in Y race's photos. Personal preference I suppose. It's kind of like going to a hockey game and wearing a jersey just because you have one, but it isn't for either team that's playing... that always confuses me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always wear my normal running clothes, the plain ones. I will wear the tech race shirts to my running club or running with other friends, but not a race.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's fine to wear a race shirt from a half or full to a race, if that race is a half or a full. When I was spectating the NYC Half earlier this year I saw a lot of people in the previous fall's marathon shirts. I feel like they probably earned it. But if you show up to a 5K in a marathon shirt, that is kind of like showing off (and I have seen that happen).

    I wear my race shirts frequently to train but not normally for races. Good way to pep myself up if I'm not feeling like running that day for whatever reason.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the only rule i have for whether or not to where a race shirt to a race is whether it's a technical shirt or not, which usually will mean it's a half or full shirt. still i usually don't wear them, except for my long sleeve tech race shirts, cause i just don't have many long sleeve running shirts.

    personally, i enjoy seeing race shirts on other people cause i learn about new races or think "dude, i'd totally run that race if that's the shirt i get" :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My exception: on a grad student's budget (no more!! woohoo!) I've opted to spend my money on races instead of running clothes. If I want to wear a tech shirt on a super hot summer day, a race shirt it must be! I think it does look a little weird at races - especially shorter distance races - but I get why someone would do it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I mostly wear my race shirts (the cotton ones) around the house. I wear more technical shirts for running.

    My biggest pet peeve about races is the people with strollers who start at the back and then bulldoze their way to get to the front, knocking into people along the way. I now purposely avoide races that allow strollers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it bugs me more when people wear the race shirt from the race they are running that day. we know you are running it. agree with the other posts-terrible pics :) i personally don’t see the reason to wear an old race shirt. they are just for training. i do try to wear my RUNATL shirts or TNT because they represent me, ATL, and my fav cause.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like to wear matching outfits! Yeah, I'm that girly wannabe runner but at least I'm looking cute!! Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Honestly, I really don't mind seeing race shirts at races. I like to know about other local races in the area so race shirts a great way to find out about them. Also, maybe that's all the person who's wearing the shirt could afford to wear. Or perhaps the shirt is technically from another race but promotes their favorite charity.

    To each their own. I don't think I've actually worn a race tee to a race but I don't mind when others do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi!
    I am a newbie runner so I havent had the time or experience to be able to say what others should be wearing. But for me, I dont have a whole lot of running clothes. So the shirts I get from the races (if they are not cotton)are what I run in. It's not about showing off (for me anyway). I honestly just didn't have anything else to wear! Now when my running wardrobe is vast enough, I probably wont wear these but not because of the reasons you mention. Mostly because they usually are pretty ugly shirts! But as for others, I have no problems with it. Wear what you want. It all gets sweaty.

    ReplyDelete