Thursday, April 28, 2011

three things thursday.

we have almost survived another week. hope it has been a good one thus far!
1. yesterday morning we oddly lost power. i was getting ready to leave for work and then BOOM and all the power went out.  My first thought was, oh well i am glad i have my make up on already. and then I thought, oh crap, my car is in the garage and i cannot call my boss to tell him that i will be late since my car is stuck in the garage.  I knew I had to pull the red thing from the ceiling, but I didn't know I had to lift the door too.  After pulling and pulling I quit and called Kyle.  Who then turned his car around, came back to the house (with his coworker in the car) and came home to rescue me and my car.  Oh my knight in shining armour.  :o)
2. I have cried over Tuscaloosa two times in my life. First, when I left that amazing city after graduation and then again yesterday. Tuscaloosa was hit really hard by a tornado yesterday - the mayor described the damage as "catastrophic" {see picture to the right and that is just a TASTE} my friend's little sister has a friend who died in the storm and i have a friend who lost his house and 15th Street is just pretty much gone. it is so hard to look at pictures and watch videos of all the destruction and all the people who have lost so much. Tuscaloosa means the world to me, it holds a huge part of my heart and all my memories bring nothing but joy. it was 3 or so of the best years of my life to date and it breaks my heart to see a place i love damaged and destroyed. it breaks my heart more to hear that the firemen say they will be discovering bodies for awhile and it hurts my heart to know that they're spray painting body counts on the houses. i cannot even begin to imagine what families are going through and how parents are holding up - I know my parents would have been freaking out from 600+ miles away. all my friends have to say was "it is really bad" and that "it was terrifying" ... college is supposed to be a happy and fun time full of amazing memories and good memories - it breaks my heart to know that there are so many students who are displaced and no longer have a place to call their home away from home. it makes me want to head there some weekend and just help. do something. anything. the campus and the stadium were missed but so many awesome businesses and homes were flattened. thankfully, everyone i know that is still in Tuscaloosa are accounted for and okay and the auburn community is amazing for setting up "Toomers for Tuscaloosa".  my thoughts and prayers are with everyone there. forever i love alabama.  if you want to help out .... you can text REDCROSS to 90999 to give $10
3. My life is about to get REALLY busy at work. I am participating in my 1st training class as a teacher next week and then we have to dive right into planning another one that is in June ... and on top of it all I am in the process of selecting a new background screening company and then have to have it all rolled out and implemented by June 1 ... and we may possibly be switching software companies so there are meetings on top of meetings about that and if we do switch that will start the traveling (probably) to train.  Needless to say, I am pretty happy that I bowed out of Ragnar, I don't think I could have done it.  But I LOVE my new job and am SO happy that I chose to take this role over the one the other company had offered me.  I am busy but a good busy, a different busy than before.

Take some time to hug your family. So thankful the weekend is coming up.  What are you doing? Anything fun? 

2 comments:

  1. The devastation from the tornadoes is pretty unbelievable. Great idea posting ways to donate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sad about Ttown. It really is cool how the 2 schools can hate each other during football but can really come together in times of need. and we have both needed each other this year. makes me proud to be from alabama. headed to Big Sur!! excited for a fun weekend. hopefully you can relax :)

    ReplyDelete