Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Ragnar Update

So. I have some news. I am dropping out of the ragnar relay that i had planned for this summer. this is something that i was REALLY looking forward to, but as I will explain why... I think that you will begin and maybe understand my reasoning.

I guess, I should start at the beginning.  I first read/heard about this relay when I 1st started running and thought it was a cool idea and something that *with the right group* I would love to do.  I don't have a big group of running friends here in Atlanta, so I knew I couldn't start and create a group but when one of my twitter pals blogged about it, I knew that if they had a spot for me, I wanted to join the fun.  lucky for me, they did. and they had a spot for one of my favorite people & my maid of honor Erin.  So we agreed and were ready to rock and roll.  I was excited about it and I mean REALLY excited about it.  I was pumped to meet people like Jessica and Jennifer and Jen Z and Ashley and Courtney and Lauren.  We had it all set up that our van of 6 was going to be fun.  

....And then it started.  The emails about people dropping out and people being replaced.    I can't remember who was the 1st to go, but it felt like once she dropped out people were dropping like flies.  All for good reasons - school, new jobs, babies!!  But with each "drop out" my excitement started to fade. you can ask Erin.  every time an email came in, I bbm'ed her and was like uhhhh do you want to do this?!  And as people got replaced they were being replaced with randoms, people who I had never even seen on twitter or in the blogging world before.  the adventure of meeting & running with people who i had a social media relationship was slowly going away.  [no offence to any of those people, we thank you for stepping up]

And then the money came to light.  I knew that I had to fly there and get a hotel and help pay for vans and gas ... but with gas prices rising I could only imagine how much the flight would cost + the money for gas for the van + food + hotels + shirts + supplies.  And then the chatter about volunteers came up and how we were going to have to pay for them if we couldn't come up with a certain amount of them.  The total cost just kept piling up and I was having a hard time spending that much money on something I was not 100% excited about.  And I really wasn't even 25% excited .... it all just became draining and a chore.

And the icing on the cake came when I got the "invitation" to operations training June 7-9 for our newly hired recruiters.  assisting with training & helping develop and grow my company's operations team is one the of parts of my new job that i am most excited about.  I knew I wouldn't be able to leave Atlanta till like 7:00 that night and then I would have to start running miles upon miles on June 10th.

.....I just knew that this was not going to happen and I was (and am) okay with this.  Not being excited about it was not helping my training and when you run a half or a full marathon unprepared you're only hurting yourself and your performance, but with this... I had 11 other people relying on me to be ready to run 8 miles in 1 leg... and running 4 miles is hard right now.

i know i am adding more stress to jen's life and i am sorry for that -- especially since June is so close... and i know i am pulling out partially for very selfish reasons, but i just want to be excited about something especially if i am going to be spending A LOT of money on something.  i wish the 12 girls who do it the best of luck and i hope they have a really good time.  but this go round, just not for me.  ....if they ever organize another one, I am 100% in but this one.... I am just not feeling it. 

7 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that you are going to be unable to do the relay. It definately is a very fun experience and you should do it at least once, but wait for the right time and the right people. It will all be worth it in the end. You and Erin can find another fun race to run together this summer, maybe even a 2 person relay? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww lady I am sorry you had all those feelings when a handful of us dropped out, but life does get in the way. I completely understand your reasoning about all the new teammates and of course the job deal you have going on.

    We will finally do a Ragnar and meet up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl! Sorry to hear about Ragner. If you ever want someone to run with we could meet on a Saturday at Piedmont Park? I don't have anyone to run with- hence my low accountability!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did Ragnar in November. I am glad I did it, but to be honest, I will not do it again. I like running. I like camping. I do not want to run and camp together, and that is what it felt like. Glad I found your blog. Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, that's no good, but completely understandable. Hope you can do it in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry I was the first one to drop out :( I missed the email with the conference dates and couldn't make it but I'm so bummed too. I hope our paths bring us close again so that we can do another Ragnar, race or anything :) I was soo sooo soo excited to meet you!

    ReplyDelete