Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I have said it before, but something has to give

Running is the greatest metaphor for life because you get out of it what you put into it.
:: Oprah Winfrey ::

This time last year I had run 1 full marathon, was gearing up to run my 1st half of the year, and had run a handful of 5ks and 10ks and had 1 more full and 2 more halfs on my schedule.  I had gone through at least 1 pair of running shoes and done countless loads of running clothes laundry. This year. We're in March and I have barely gotten 12 miles in ALL YEAR.   and i want to call myself a runner. 

The quote above by Oprah could not be more truthful.  If I went out to run a 5k tomorrow, I would struggle but that is because I have not touched or nurtured my running relationship this year.  I have 100% put it on the back burner and moved work to the front.  As I have been screaming all year I am ready for a change and want to figure out how to get running back into my life.  Maybe not racing in 2011, but at least running.

I want to put my goals on paper.  I want to tell you how I hope to run at Stone Mountain every weekend starting this weekend and that I want to do Blast900 twice a month and that I want to rejoin a gym and actually use it and that I want to do runs in the neighborhood after work before it gets too dark.  (wait i did tell you)  I just know that I won't get anything out of my running and I will not be successful at Ragnar or Savannah or even the Brookhaven Bolt if I do not start moving and getting back in the groove.

Yesterday morning I started my new job.  But not the new job that I told you about on Thursday. I chose to stay with the company that I have been with since I moved to Atlanta.  They have been so great to me and have been my family and the position they countered me with on Friday fits my career goals.  Right now, I am in the branch assisting with the transition and then I move up to corporate. And with the corporate move I hope that there will be a balance where I can work and do what I love, but I can also fit in the time to go to the gym. And if that means rejoining LA Fitness because it is just up the street rather than upgrading to Lifetime then so be it...

But if there is 1 truth that needs to be presented is: something HAS to give.  Running has to work its way back into my life.  Maybe I give up sleeping in on the weekends or I give up the Lifetime marathons or I push myself out the door rather than staying late every night to finish up a project at the office. ....but something HAS to give.

2 comments:

  1. There is a new gym opening in bulkhead that I just joined and they have a great special. It’s called Urban Active. And why don’t you come run with Team on a wednesday or saturday? and lets plan a blast date for the end of the month. does that work? and yay for savannah too! i’m doing the 1/2. you can get back into it-promise. :) if you want a running date, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. You are right - something has to give, in my life too. Congrats on the new position and I hope everything works out for you!

    ReplyDelete