Thursday, March 10, 2011

three things thursday.

1. there was a lizard in our house last week. a lizard. he was hiding behind the blinds.  of course kyle scooped him up and got him outside but that freaks me out. i don't do lizards. or spiders. and they do not belong in my house.  i understand they're warm blooded and like the warmth, but i don't think them, therefore they're not welcome. if i see another one, i am staying in a hotel.  sorry mulligan, but that doggie door that leads INTO the kitchen, yeah it is FOREVER staying closed.
2. upon cruising facebook monday morning i learned that one of my buddies from the 1st college i went to away in his sleep. on the couch. at age 28.  yes, age 28.  They do not really know what happened (there had been some red flags recently. troubles with his insulin, but was seeing new doctors. he had a seizure while driving a few weeks back and got in an accident. but he told everyone he was doing fine.) and won't really know until the reports come back. Andy Towne is a truly awesome individual and though him and I did not keep in touch once I transferred to Alabama, many of my freshman year of college memories have Towne in them.  if there is anything that is becoming more and more clear the older and more aware i become, is that life is just way too short and you have to make decisions for yourself and that will make you happy.  As much as I regret not keeping in touch with many of my friends from my 1st college I know that many of them touched my life and I am forever grateful for that.  Sadly, since graduating college I have heard of 4 friends passing unexpectedly in car accidents, boat accidents, and in their sleep. I feel like people at my young age of 26 (and younger and older) think they're so invincible and they have SO many years ahead of them.... but for me, people like Towne and Brady and Chase and Mabry are constant reminders that tomorrow is not a given.
3. i am sorry. but when it comes to weddings i am REALLY traditional.  Thankfully, Kyle knew that an understands that.  In my world the boyfriend asks the girlfriend after he is given permission.  The girlfriend then becomes the wife and takes the now husband's last name. I will become a Shanahan, no questions asked.  Barbara Ann Shanahan to be exact.  But... in one of my friend from high school's world I guess his relationship is all about role reversal.  A year or so back I noticed that SHE proposed to HIM. My thoughts were... okay okay, maybe she got impatient.  Not my style, but to each their own.  Then this week I am wondering who the heck "S. Wayland" is... only to click on him and learn that HE TOOK HER LAST NAME. Normally I am left wondering who this girl is that looks familiar but has a strange last name, not the other way around. I can't help but wonder what the Social Security office was thinking when he came in to change his name because he got married.  I know, I know this is 2011, but can't some things stay sacred and traditional?!

Have a really great weekend and Friday!!

4 comments:

  1. He took her name? That's one of the strangest things I've ever heard. I'm all for not taking your husband's name but I think it's odd to have the husband take the wife's name. Also, sorry to hear about your friend. It's always scary/sad when someone so young just randomly passes away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of people not changing their last names, but a guy taking his wife's name? Now that's just odd!

    Also, I'm very sorry to hear about your friend :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about your friend, life is truly short. My good friend Leigha passed away from a freak accident too, and it is sad when young people pass away that way. It should't be that way, but sadly it is.

    I 110% agree with you about being traditional when it comes to marriage. That is just so odd he took her name, meh, weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about your friend. As for names & weddings, meh. Whatever works for you. I know a LOT of people who don't take their husbands last names - if you're in a field where you have a license or degree in your maiden name, it can be a HUGE hassle to change your degree to reflect your new name. (Something that you MUST do in some fields if you change your name.) As for the guy taking her name? Still a "meh." Whatever floats your boat. It might not be common but it's not that rare.

    ReplyDelete