Thursday, July 2, 2009

posterior tibial tendon - you pain me.

We can't always control the how and why of situations that come along on our journey. We do however, have a choice in how to celebrate, cope, or just breathe during them. Keep dancing through it all.
==Diedre Goodwin, Broadway actress ==

So, I emailed everyone probably a little over a week ago rejoicing in the fact that I had met my fundraising goal and all I had to do was train, stay healthy, and make it across the finish line. ...Well, I am minorly "broken" -- injured if you will. I started having pain in my left ankle area around the 20th of June. I really could not figure out why, since I did not feel myself roll it or twist it. I stayed off it for the most part [as much as I would let myself], but every time it started feeling better I would go right back at it and the pain would come right back around the 1 mile mark. I caved. I finally went to a doctor (and if you know me, something has to be wrong for me to go to the man in the white coat). After walking back and forth a bit and some xrays it was decided that I have itty bitty stress fractures (nothing to worry too much about... but I do have to go back in 3 weeks, right before coming home, to ensure they're still itty bitty but hopefully non existant) and "posterior tibial tendonitis". I have to stay off it until Monday and then I am allowed to walk all of 2 miles. 3...if my ankle is feeling well. So when the marathon team is running 6... I am walking 2, maybe 3. Great. Thrilled. I thought the goal was to get across the finish line, you may be fishing me out of the bay. ...Jokes aside. I know being healthy is way more important than running a full marathon. So I will be on my best behavior.

What is posterior tibial tendonitis:
"Posterior tibial tendonitis is an uncommon problem of the foot. When this tendon is inflamed in posterior tibial tendonitis or if the posterior tibial tendon ruptures, it can cause serious problems. Most commonly, patients with posterior tibial tendonitis complain of pain in the inside of the foot and ankle, and occasionally have problems associated with an unstable gait."
So! I am off it for a few more days and then I have to ease back into the training slowly. However, I am going to focus on strength training and building a solid core. Anything to keep me fairly active. BUT! I am now terrified of my 7.25.09 long run - 10 miles. Hopefully I can do it without dying.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm glad that's all it is and nothing more serious! I'm sorry you have to sit by and watch your team train. You will be back training strong soon. Happy healing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a bummer! That does not sound fun at all...but you may just surprise yourself with what you can accomplish on race day (even with sitting out a bit). I should definitely recommend a natural cream to you called Topricin. It is awesome and works great for aches and pains..it even helps with inflammation. Our family uses it all the time for all kinds of stuff. Maybe it would help get you further faster with your injury? Hope it helps and get some rest :) Caroline

    ReplyDelete