Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Barbie is Back! And it feels great! =)

running song of the moment: "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" ~Miley Cyrus (don't judge me!)
"Love yourself, for who and what you are; protect your dream and develop your talent to the fullest extent" --Joan Beniot Samuelson
Yesterday was my first day back running after basically two weeks off. Sure I did a little bit of low impact work, but not nearly enough to stay active. I wouldn't call the run "rough" but I would call it "tough". I barely got over 2 miles, and I do not know if it was the lack of working out, lack of sleep, lack of food ... or a combination of all 3, but I felt like total and utter awfulness at 2 miles yesterday. I know, slow and steady wins the race and it will come back to me quicker than I think, but it still is frustrating. Here I am barely making it to 2 miles on a scheduled 4 mile day... Saturday is a 6 mile long run day... and I'm not panicking, but I am looking at the training calendar saying 'you want me to do what?'. Granted, Kyle has been more than supportive and told me that it was my 1st day back and maybe I won't be able to do 6... but I should try and get as close as I can to it. I am not going to lie though.... I am seeing people who are consistently running 6+ miles per day and I feel like I am an "inadequate" runner. I feel inferior in comparison to them; the worst part is -- I know they don't care & they are not judging me or mocking me. More than likely, they're stoked there is 1 more person in the world who has decided to start running and is finding a love for it. I know I should not push myself that hard till my body is 110% adjusted and acclimated to the sport of running and distance running, but still. I want to be like those people. I guess it is good to have goals in life though, right? I guess I just want to run with the big kids too.

I really wish I could get my lazy bones out of bed in the morning (on days other than Saturday and Sunday). The Atlanta humidity and heat makes it so hard to run outside and I have done 85% of my training on the treadmill. I always say I am going to run outside, but I always fall back to the apartment gym (hmm.. comfort again). I know that I need to hit the hills and the different pavement surfaces, but I wish it was just a tad cooler and tad less heated.

My shoes, they rock. I don't know how I ran in Asics for so long. Maybe it's the fact that I am a total creature of habit, but this is one habit I am glad I broke out of. In comparison to my Brooks they're clunky, stuffy, and not as supportive. My Brooks are like heaven on my feet... they're so much lighter, I feel like my feet are breathing rather than being stuck in a Sauna, and there is zero pain in my feet/ankles/knees nothing. So to the Brooks people: if you continue to thrill me, you have a life long supporter. Don't let me down!

No comments:

Post a Comment