Saturday, July 25, 2009

Hi. I lack the running gene!

"Good things come slow - especially in distance running."
- Bill Dellinger, Oregon coach -
I have had a pretty hard two days of training up here in VA. The terrain is pretty similar to that in Atlanta. Flat in spots, hills in others. But for some reason I just could not get in the groove, especially this morning. We all know that I am by no means a runner. I never have been. Taking on this marathon was a 'lose my mind' moment... but it is all for an amazing cause. But sometimes I wonder what the hell I have gotten myself into. I am having a really hard time getting over 4 miles and I have to somehow kick out 26.2. I wouldn't say I am getting discouraged because I know everyone has bad moments, but frustrated would be a great word. I feel like I push myself and try to make it as fun as it can be in the heat and humidity that is Atlanta (and Northern VA currently)... but I end up crapping out and throwing in the towel. I guess I am just reaching for some suggestions. I am a newbie here. How in the world do I get to the high miles. I am terrified that I won't be able to do it. I don't want to run everyday because then I run the risk of injury... but in the same breathe... I feel like the more I run the better I may get. Lord knows I was not built with the running gene.

My running/breathing has been all out of sync for awhile now and it is getting frustrating. The side stitches are beginning to get on my nerves. And my ankle where my stress fractures are/were were bugging me today. I wish this all came easy to me.

I wonder if I should re-join LA Fitness and get active in the classes... run there from work... do a class... run back a few days a week. That way I will work on my endurance (?) but then I think that is all well and good, but I will be running not 'hip-hoping' it through San Fran. I feel like I need to get the scheduled miles in more than anything... but then again I am barely following the schedule. (correction: I run when they tell me to run. I just don't always go as far as they want me to.)

I guess my mind is just running faster than my feet .... because I want this sooo bad but I am worried that I won't do well. I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. I know that even if I do it in 6 hours it was all for a good cause and I can check it off my bucket list... oh well.

On a total side note. Blog to follow: Michael's! -- I have been reading his little spot for a month or so now and he wrote a little something earlier this month that has been my encouragement the past two days. His 7.6.09 post is worth bookmarking for bad training days... I just had to quote it.

"Speaking of first time marathoners; they are an awesome bunch. Deciding to run 26.2 miles the first time can be an exciting, heady experience. Sticking with it, pushing through the pains and progress of training, to the point where one actually "gets" the distance, and then tearfully shuffling across the FINISH line...for me, that's inspiring. That's why I follow so many runners online. I love finding a new person whose profile says "just hoping to finish my first marathon". They get me at "Just hoping...". Then there are those who finish their first marathon...and decide to do ANOTHER. Holy smokes!"

2 comments:

  1. barbie - sorry to read that you're having such a tough time out there. i understand the discouragement...but don't give up. my number one suggestion would be to look into the jeff galloway method (run/walk) for marathons. it's what i've used in all 28 marathons i've run. you can check the system out at jeffgalloway.com...and/or look for a running shop in atlanta/virginia (where ever you're going to be) that has its own galloway training group. time is running (ha!) short for nike womens...but i KNOW 2 months worth of galloway training and you'll pull this out...maybe even decided to run ANOTHER one! btw...would love to be there to cheer you across the finish line in october! oh...thanks for the quote, too. awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading up a lot on running lately since I plan on continuing the race circuit. The BEST thing you can do is cross train. Swim laps, bike, hike, row, whatever. I will bring you my running times magazine so you can look at it. Some guy took time off due to an injury but swam through it, came back with little training and posted an incredible time. No extra or alternate physical activity will hurt you. A big issue for people is that they get into the running mode. But every activity you participate in is going to add to your overall physical health, endurance and strength and therefore help you :)

    ReplyDelete