Monday, July 6, 2009

:: new shoes :: new week ::

Today was the day I have been waiting for all week... the day I get to start running again. And I didn't even run! As much as I talked about how pumped I was to get back in the groove of training, I did not do any sort of training! However, I did get a new pair of running shoes so when I do go back to it [tomorrow] I will be all set. They're obviously not the pink asics that I have eyed for weeks... but I learned that those pretty little things are not the best for my feet. According to the smart little runner man at Big Peach these bad boys will be good for my mild-pronation. I will keep you posted on how I like them.

So I follow this guy on twitter and he posted an article today listing '27 Way to Run Better' -- and I agreed with a few of them, so I wanted to share them with others.
  • Keep a log: Since joining Dailymile & starting this little place to write it has been a way to really track my training. And like my team in training site the encouragement I get from people is insanely motivational.
  • Run with others: When I run with my team in training team it is a totally different experience. I have people pushing me farther and farther, while encouraging to be the best I can. Granted, I love the solitude of running alone, jamming out to some tunes, and clearing my mind from the day to day stress.... running with a group is always a good time!
  • Enter races: I had never run a formal race until this year. For me, it is 100% a sense of total accomplishment. It shows me how far I really am coming in this world of running and marathon training. When I first started I was at a 14 min or so mile and every week I am improving and getting better.
  • Get your clothes ready: This is key for me. After working 9 hours, talking to mean people who do not want me or my company to help with their lack of staffing... running is sometimes not something I want to take on. (Granted, it is an amazing stress reliever) Having everything out reminds me that I have to hit the pavement.
  • Don't obsess about it: When I first started this journey to completing my first ever marathon I was freaking out about getting all my training in. Now I just make sure (well... try my best) to get in 5 solid days of running, 1 active recovery day, and 1 solid rest day. The more I pressured myself to stick to the team in training schedule... the more I failed. Now, I run on my time and it is great!!

On... the topic of "entering races" -- I am thinking about doing a half marathon right before my full marathon. And when I mean right before... it is on the 4th of October and my full marathon is on the 18th. The only thing holding me back from signing up right now is being scared of injuring myself right before Nike. But... I really want to see how it feels to run 13.1 in race form. So to all the running pros... do you say 'go for it' or 'heck no do not do it'?!

....So a bit of exciting news. Totally unrelated to Team in Training but 100% related to running. I am thinking a lot about signing up for The Disney Marathon in Orlando this January. It is about 65% full so I need to make a decision fast. But I think it would be another great experience and heck it's only 6 hours away. Road trip anyone?!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post, Barbie! I didn't like my running shoes the first time out with them, but I like them now. My feet tried to fight them, lol, but the shoes won. Those are some useful tips, and I actually follow them! Signing up for races is the best way to stay focused and training. I'm thinking of signing up for a half in Pittsburgh in November and a half in Myrtle Beach in February. I love my new hobby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi and good luck today with your run!! Let us know how it goes for you!!!

    ReplyDelete