Thursday, July 9, 2009

::Endurance:: Going the distance ::

So. Endurance is still my biggest issue with running. It always has been, ever since I could remember endurance was not holding my hand while running. I think that my two biggest issues with running are 1) my breathing and 2) my endurance. I feel like I need running 101 and a personal run coach... but wait, Team in Training has provided me with a 'run coach'. This is all well and good, but I have yet to make a Track Training session. Whoops. So I have decided to take on the mission of finding solutions and ideas on how to build my endurance online. Going into this, I was fully aware that building endurance is a process... it happens over time... it's a gradual thing.


This is what I have found on how to do it:
1. Go faster.harder.longer every time: I am going to say that this is something I strive for every run. Pre-ankle-injury I was doing this. Now I just gotta go back to pushing myself. Like I said in a previous post, I try to make my runs a game and fun. I just have to find that fun... when I am outside.
a. Course of action: go back to making it a game. Push myself harder everyday. Not too hard though. I do not need an injury. I used to have so much fun seeing if I can go just .10 father.


2.Cross train: I am going to be honest. I do not know why cross training helps. But I feel like I need to get my little butt on the elliptical because that machine kicks me in the rear. I think that if I could go miles... or even 1 mile on that thing it will help a lot. Hmm... new mission.
a. Course of action? Get on the elliptical. I know when I go home in a few weeks I am going to run in the mornings but also hit the gym with my parents. I will do the elliptical there... but I need to do it here too.


3. Hills/incline training: I need to be integrating inclines into my training. Not only because I am freaking doing a marathon in San Fran and their known for the hills, but it also gets your heart rate up. So I read... getting your heart rate up helps build stamina.
a. So... my course of action? There is a big hill in front of my apartment and I am going to run it. Run it back and forth. My plan is to run that 1 road for about 1 mile. I think it will kick me in the butt. I also want to find a high school and run bleachers. I remember doing that in high school... it was a killer work out. And lastly, Piedmont Park. The terrain changes so much - I think I am going to try and incorporate it into my training. Sunday mornings maybe?


4. Soda/Carbonation: evidently soda decreases your ability to fully breathe while working out which does not help proper breathing.
a. course of action: ugh. 1 soda per day. at the most 2. If I am dragging at 3pm then I can have the 2nd. But I have to have total self control.

Like you can image I hope to just build my endurance. Like everything... patience is a virtue. I know it will come in time. I know if I just keep working and working hard I will get back to where I was 2 weeks ago before my injury and I will also get better than I was. I just gotta stay positive and I gotta keep looking forward. I want to start running in the morning... and I am going to start that on Monday. Wish me luck, I treasure my mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment