Saturday, October 23, 2010

wigwam socks review.

a few months back natalie from wigwam sent me an email thanking me for being such a fan of wigwam and sent me some socks that she loves and she trains in. they came in a pretty box and with a really nice handwriten note and i was really stoked to get them and then try them all out. it  has taken me months to do this review because of sheer laziness and not really knowing how to describe 5 pairs of socks. really. that is a hard task since i always thought a sock was just a sock and once you find something you love, in the running world you tend to not change. plus i tend to just grab a pair of socks from the drawer and i only grabbed the free ones every so often, but i have been wearing most of the socks and others i have not tried just yet (forgive me) … but since people have been wondering about socks a lot lately (or at least my twitter friends are) – i decided to stop being lazy and review some of the ones natalie shared with me.

there are many things that i love about wigwam and that have kept me wearing them for so long and kept me buying them.
  1. i have never ever ever blistered when wearing wigwams.
  2. all the ones i have tried have no toe seam like thing so it’s like the sock is 1 big piece of fabric. no toe seam = no irritation,
  3. they’re super comfy to wear
  4. they may be pricey but they are made so so so well. I don't have to worry about them falling apart, getting holes, etc..
  5. for the most part, they’re light, breathable,  and comfy to wear.

so onto the little write ups on the free pairs of socks i scored…

racey: these ones were my fave and the most comfortable and i am currently sad since i am missing one of them so I cannot wear them anymore (and I cannot seem to find them at REI so I don't know where to get them). they are so so so cushy and comfortable. they are cut just right – so none of the sock is showing – and despite being thicker than the average sock i normally like and am drawn to, they don’t make my foot hot or uncomfortable. i have found myself wearing these around the house just because and grabbing them most often to throw in my gym bag. as mentioned, i currently only have 1 racey sock so i have not been able to wear them, but once i find the match i will run in them again and when I find out where to buy some I am stocking up. =)
ironman tailwind: i like these. i like these a lot. i actually had bought myself a pair or two before getting the free pair. they have just the right amount of cushion and they keep my foot dry and cool for the most part. they were not my favorites on the super hot days {i am weird, i hate hot feet when i run and i tend to think about my feet midrun} but now that fall is coming back they’re working out well. The cut is just perfect, giving the heel and back of the foot just the right amount of coverage and they are comfy. i have always been a big fan of the "ironman" socks and these ones did not disappoint. these are $12.00 at REI and I feel they’re worth the high price tag and I will for sure continue buying these ones.
ironman surge pro: this sock had it’s ups and downs for me. the first thing i noticed was that it was cut too high for me (i don’t like my sock showing or doing over my ankle) but i noticed that it was lightweight which i love.  i am honestly on the fence with this sock – i liked how it was tight on my foot (but not too tight) yet they did not cause blisters, but it lacked enough padding for me. i also did not find that it kept my foot as cool as i would like in both the hot summer and cool fall. i will 100% keep wearing this sock especially for the shorter runs and i do want to see how they do in the fall/winter. I would rate these a 7 out of 10 because I really couldn't complain about them.  If the cut was lower I would for sure wear them more often, since we all know I don't do all my scheduled long runs. ;)
ironman spark pro: these ones just did not do it for me. i thought they were cut way too high. i thought they hugged my foot well and did not blister but they did not breathe as much as i would have liked and my feet just felt hot and uncomfortable.. the weirdest thing i noticed about these socks is that i think they cut off the circulation to my feet (yes, i untied my shoes and loosened them and they still feel asleep).. when i run in these my feet tend to fall asleep and i don’t know if it’s because they’re cut so high and so tight, but it is weird.  i kept these ones in my bag for spin class  – not so much of the outside running. i really have not put too many miles in with these on so i cant say too much about them.
trail trax pro: these ones are still in their packaging. i am kinda scared of these ones due to how thick they are. also – they’re evidently ideal for cool weather running and atlanta has not yet seem cool weather (yeah it is 70+ degrees currently). i will try these this winter – i promise but since i hate hot feet i just have not yet.

i know everyone has personal preference about their sock and the cut, the cushiness, the colors, the texture and materials, etc.  I know I am really picky and when i first started running and trying socks i tried everything from thorlo to goldtoe to the target champion brand and then finally found and loved the wigwam brand.  But if you’re ever in the market to try a new brand, i really am a HUGE fan of Wigwams. to rank them 1-5: 1) racey 2) tailwind 3)surge pro 4)spark pro 5) trax pro

No comments:

Post a Comment