Saturday, July 7, 2012

Oh AC don't fail us now!

Kyle and I survived our first test on our marriage. We passed with flying colors. And yes {for my family} I am being dramatic. Not a real "test of the marriage" but a "fun" time.

.Let me introduce you to the main characters.
Kyle J: The husband who projectile stresses when he is stressed and spews frustration when he is frustrated and tends to think the worst in all situations. but he always apologizes. {love you k.}
Barbie aka Me: The wife. Who is not fun to be around when she gets hot and feels gross. The one who likes to google situations and diagnose situations {sometimes being correct but a lot of times being wrong.}
The Dogs: The ones who are black and get hot in the hot hot heat and one is made of wool {for reals}
The AC unit: That {as I like to call it} was crying because it was having to work so hard in this hot hot heat.

.the story.
Our AC went crazy. Legit crazy.  Earl this week {like Tuesday maybe?} it would blow really hard and then stop. And then blow really hard and then stop. and repeat repeat repeat. And it was a little damp. We had just changed the filter {per the request of our property management company} and thought that had something to do with it so I trekked to Home Depot in the middle of a monsoon to get ANOTHER filter - a different sized one this time.  And all was well in the world. No more blowing and stopping.

Then, I woke up Saturday morning to a post-it note asking me to check the AC thing and our hall bathroom for water.  I didn't notice anything until later in the day when I used the hall bathroom and there was a puddle of water. So, I looked at the AC thing again and there was condensation and dripping.

The whole time I am wondering why am I, the girl, looking into HVAC issues?!

So. We mopped up all the water and turned the AC off and the hot hot heat began. I put in a call to our property management's emergency line {again. why is the girl doing this?!} letting them know there was a minor {or maybe major} issue.

Kyle still did P90X despite the rising temps and I was forced upstairs {hi. hello. heat rises! that is why no one wants the top bunk at summer camp!} to watch Lifetime and watch the dogs.

The cranky wife began complaining.

Then the call came in. Brian from some HVAC AC company was coming to our rescue! A hour later he was there and fixing things and really seriously being my hero.

.the verdict.
just in case someone happens to google things like "AC Leaking Water" or "AC Leaking Water White Pipe" {some of the things I googled} and they stumble upon this blog and actually read all the way down here I can tell you what happened. evidently. our drain pan was full the the pipe could not drain.  Our buddy Brian told us that this is common and that in the summer we should drop a little bit of bleach in the pipe to keep it clean.  And we evidently had a really gross build up of slime and algae like junk in the pipe so it was backed up.

And now... all is well in this world and we have AC and it wasn't something too serious! :)  Happy Saturday right?!

but seriously. why do I put in all the work orders and have to handle all the odd house issues. i feel like this is not up my alley and as my boss would say "i am not staying in my lane!"  ...And for the record, I do not think Kyle and I are ready nor made for home ownership.  But, I will say renting this house has grounded us and made us realize that things can go wrong and they will go wrong and it will be our responsibility to fix them.  But, for now. I hope the owners of our house let us renew our lease for another year - we're probably their most expensive tenants!

1 comment:

  1. If my AC broke in this heat, I'd be a goner. Seriously. I'm glad you have AC!!

    ReplyDelete