Tuesday, September 28, 2010

habits.

I know every runner has habits before big races ... the more and more I run the more and more I notice them.  I really began to notice it this past weekend in Nashville when I was searching for alfredo and bagels and would not substitute for anything else and also when it was 5:00 pm and I was pinning my race number on my shirt, yet I had not really unpacked yet.  I know it is more of a comfort level thing since you're not supposed to try anything new, but isn't that about food and clothes and shoes .... not music.

  • every night before the race I have to lay out my clothes. shoes. socks. shorts. shirt [with my # pinned on]. hair tie. everything.  I actually sleep with my sports bra on.
  • when I carb load i tend to eat the same thing: chicken alfredo, but i tend to not eat all the chicken
  • I eat half a bagel the morning of the race. but only half. and i wash it down with water.
  • I have the same 4 songs start me off for every race 1) "my time" - jeremiah 2) "we belong to the music" - timbaland ft. miley cyrus 3) "who's got your money" -tina dollar and 4) "Rock & Roll" - eric hutchinson  ... i tend to follow it up with a slower song that allows me to walk if need be.
  • I actually pack up my belt pack thing 2-3 days prior to the race, loading it with both GU Chomps and Clif Shotblocks ... making sure I leave room for my blackberry.
  • During the race I don't like to rely on the Clif Shotblocks or anything until at least mile 6 ... and then 12 ... 6 mile increments.
what are your habits?! Are they as nit-picky as mine or am I just crazy?!

3 comments:

  1. I love this. Sounds very similar to my routine. I go plain pasta with red sauce.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still working on my habits, but I definately always have pasta with pesto the night before a race :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAhaha, love this post! I also have to have everything totally organized the night before - NO surprises on race day! Foodwise no favorite yet, but I like eating potatoes and shrimps :)

    ReplyDelete