Sunday, September 19, 2010

Big Peach Sizzler 10k 2010

This time last year I ran my 1st ever 10k (read race report here) with one of my really good friends who constantly pushes and motivates me. And man did she motivate and push me to the finish last year. I made the decision that I wanted to try and run as many of the same races each year to see how much I have (or have not improved in a year). So this weekend was the Big Peach Sizzler 10k... 6.2 miles, starting right by my apartment, and all I wanted was it to not be as humid as it was last year.

The Big Peach Running Company is my favorite running store here in Atlanta - the staff is awesome (knowledgeable, friendly, always willing to help) and they are stocked full of basically anything and everything you could ever want, need, and not really need when it comes to running and when yo find something you want, they have options and make your decision just a tiny bit harder. Big Peach puts on a few races each year and every time they host one I try to take part since they're well run, organized, and just fun.


This years race was no different. The night before I took Kyle to our little pizza joint and I carb loaded on tortellini (and put myself into a carb coma), checked the weather (to learn it would be hot and humid, typical atlanta), and i picked out my outfit & put the race number on my shirt... and called it an early night, err i crawled in bed to try to make it an early night but of course I was sucked into E! ...

Race morning was no different than past race mornings - woke up early (too early this time since the race started basically in my apartment complex's parking lot), took out the pup, got dressed, and filled up my water bottle and was out the door. The 1st thing I really noticed was the crowd - Big Peach races always have good turnouts, but there was just a lot of people. Race started at 7:30 and I was feeling good. It is great how properly eating can make such a difference, who woulda thought? The weather was actually really nice a touch a heat but not too much. Since I lived around the start I was really comfortable with the terrain which I think gave me an advantage. As people were dropping off at the 1st hill (which really isn't a hill, its a slow incline), I was chugging up it since I run it weekly... and I knew when the flat parts were coming... and the hilly-ish part of peachtree I could handle those hills pretty well too since I was familiar with them. When I got to the 1st water stop I was thankful I decided to bring my own since they were dry, no water. I heard lots of grumbles around me and it worried me a bit about the water situation at the 5 mile mark so I started to ration my water. Thankfully for those who didn't get water at the 1st stop were able to get bottles of water from Thrive Personal Training not too far down. I somehow lost a contact around mile 4 or so ... half blind running was a 1st for me and the photo guy just around the 6 mile mark was super fun yelling "hey 1045 big smiles big smiles" -- thankfully Miley Cyrus was on so I was able to keep it moving and going. I was about 3 minutes shy of a PR, but I am content and okay with my time. Knowing that I beat my MCM "pick up the stragglers car" in my garmin by over a mile gave me some much needed confidence goinig into October... ...granted 20 miles is much farther and longer than 6.2 so my legs will be more tired by then... honestly, i think it is all about playing games and when your mind is telling you no more to just keep putting 1 foot in front of the other.

I think the reason why I like this race so much is because I run a lot of this course just for fun. It starts by my apartment and much of the middle course is part of my brookhaven route and then the buckhead part is what i run when i take breathers from the office. ...and if i ever start running to work again it is the exact course.

I am happy to report that I made it this year without losing anything. *last year I lost my timing chip, drivers license, and credit card* And I did miss having my running buddy and being told the "Nick Saban would kick me off the team". PS. When are we running again and doing brunch?!

so the stats.the important things.
Last Year's Time: 1:21
This Year's Time: 1:10 (a whopping 11 minutes faster than last year) - and I beat the 14 minute mcm pace man by 1.18 miles. Take that 14th St. Bridge

I am happy with my time. I ran The Peachtree in 1:10 and that was when I was in much better shape than I am now - so maybe there is hope for MCM :o)

**i'll post pictures once they're posted**

3 comments:

  1. Great job! Sounds like it was a pretty decent day for a race (in the South at least!). The pics came out really good too. Sorry about losing a contact - I can't imagine having to run half blind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! And what an awesome report!

    ReplyDelete