Sunday, March 28, 2010

Yearly Checkup.

Mully had his 1 year check up yesterday. Yes, he is older than 1 year, but all his shots had expired (is that even the right word) and we had to get him vaccinated again to keep him healthy and wonderful! Lucky for us (well me, since I went alone) the vet is one of Mulligan's favorite places in the world. He has loved it since his first visit and ever since Village Vets in Decatur has been our go to place for everything dog.

Mull got excited at the thought of a car ride, but when we got into the parking lot his excitement really perked. I had to keep him in the car for a few extra minutes since some guy pulled in right next to me at the same time with his big ol Rotty and since I did not feel like being dragged, we hung out in the car a bit. I swear he recognizes places because he was hopping out of the car in excitement before I could even get him leashed up. And I made him sit to even enter the vet because he was so pumped to go in.

I know I have already said it, but Mully loves the vet and everyone always tells him that he is super cute and has beautiful brown eyes when he goes. He tends to put his front paws on the counter to say hi to all the employees and yesterday he ran into the vet and before I even got to say who he was and check in, he hopped up to say hi and had so much force he like slid across the counter! **my dog just has to make an entrance** For the first time in a long time he actually stayed on the scale so we could weigh him and for the most part he was VERY well behaved (until it was time to pay and leave and then all the excitement of animals made him demonic).

The vet said he was looking good and healthy. He gums and chompers were looking great and we were told to keep up whatever we were doing (...which is feeding him treats and bones and food) and he was well behaved. HA! Can they do vet visits at home so they can see his out of controllness? He hated getting his temperature taken and the fecal exam - but that is understandable. He got his blood taken and didn't even kick or squirm so he was a good boy and was rewarded with a treat! YUM - his favorite part. The bad news? He is about 5 pounds overweight. He is our little porker. The vet said he looked healthy, but he just had a few extra pounds on him and she would love to see him at 70 lbs not 75.8. So we have to scale back the treats and I cannot feed him pasta anymore as I cook dinner or he can't have bits of American Cheese as I snack. No more eating tater tots off my plate and no more snacking on human foot leftovers.

I did ask about the chewing of the walls and destroying of his beds while in the crate and she said it was separation anxiety. She did not want to put him on meds just yet but if it does not get better that may be an option. She did recommend sending him to a behaviorist or having one come to us and putting him in therapy. But yeah right. We're two 25 year olds saving our pennies. Therapy for a dog - gimme a break. We have to watch him and I went and bought him 2 new toys that are supposedly indestructible. We shall see.

After the vet he got a big long walk since he has about 5 pounds to lose and then his daddy played about 45 minutes of fetch with him later on. He ended up getting sick and puking in our kitchen, but that can be a side effect of all his vaccinations. Most importantly, he slept 98% of the day so we had a Saturday of peace!

I think for now we will keep him, so no puppy for sale now. Sorry.

1 comment:

  1. Awwwww... how about puppy for rent, just for a play-date? LOL I miss having dogs around!

    ReplyDelete