Thursday, March 18, 2010

3 days till ING

We are counting down the days now to the ING Georgia Half & Full Marathon. I signed up for this race coming off the Disney Marathon when I said I would never ever ever do a full again. Thankfully so, since I am once again no where near in half marathon shape (and because I am wickedly congested and at the tail end of a chest and head cold ... which evidently is floating around Atlanta and plaguing many a ING runners -- feel better if you're sick and running!!).

I have never done this race so please do not think I am giving out any tips, secrets, or pointers because well I am not. All I know is what I have heard and all I have heard is that it is well organized, well run, and hilly. So, I did what I normally do and looked for an elevation map. And well it does appear to be quite the hilly course. Mile 6 looks like it will be a doozy (wait, wasn't mile 6 the rough one in San Fran too?!) and that it will be 100% up hill and into mile 7 and finally giving us a break around mile 8. Luckily it looks like mile 11 (when I will be for sure out of steam) is downhill and that the last mile or so is fairly flat with some little hills.

The weather is supposed to be rainy. Last I heard there was a 60% chance of rain.... which means I will for sure be sporting my new pink Nike rain jacket. I do have my fingers crossed that the rain will hold off until AFTER the race but with my luck that won't happen. I tried to look at the hour-by-hour predictions on weather.com and I guess it is too far away to predict what will happen come 7 am on Sunday morning.

Oh well. Good luck to everyone running, walking, crawling, skipping, whatever their way to the finish. If you're doing it, let me know, maybe we can suffer this out together! Happy Running!

6 comments:

  1. hey, I think I put you on my google reader after somehow coming across an ING post, but never said hi. so, hi! I'm doing the full this weekend and my mom is doing the half - I noticed that they show the elevation as if the half marathon stops at the 13.1 mile mark of the full, which it doesn't (and I don't think they changed the elevation to reflect the course change in the full marathon this year - it looks the same as last year's to me). I don't think the elevation for either race is accurate which is kind of annoying when you're trying to plan where you're going to be miserable :D

    good luck this weekend! I'm crossing my fingers the rain holds off.
    -beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have a great race and hopefully whatever sickness you have been fighting won't plague you on race morning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck and I hope you're feeling better, it could be a marathon day miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck Sunday; I hope you have a great time conquering those hills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I've loved reading your posts! I will be cheering you on with the rest of all the purple people at a water stop! Have a great run!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ran the ING half course with Phidippides in a group run about 3 weeks ago. That mile 6 hill is long, but it is do-able. Stay strong, think positive. You can do this!

    ReplyDelete