Thursday, March 4, 2010

The gym.

I have this love hate relationship with the gym. Some days I hate it and want to cancel my membership, other days I think to myself that I have a REALLY good set up since I pay close to nothing and the gym is a great resource for rainy days. I just hate that there are things I want to do at the gym that I can't or that I have to wait for and I feel like if I am paying for something I should be able to use it.

Take spin class. The 5:30 class fills up at 4:45. I do not even get out of the office till 5 and then to get to the gym and through the doors it is like 5:15. If I want to cycle my butt off to loud pumping music, I should be able to. I know they're popular as hell but really? How can they be THAT popular.

Swimming. The pool has water aerobics most night at 5:30 so I cannot swim and them other night you're sharing a lap lane with one to two other people. Talk about a cluster of chaos. There are legs and arms flailing every where... someone is going to lose an eye. (Or is that what goggles are REALLY for?)

And please for the love of God do not get me started on treadmills and ellipticals. A wait is like a given. And then there is a 30 minute time limit. Oh great, I can barely run 3 miles... that helps my training SO much. And it goes back to the fact that I am paying to use that dreadmill and it I want to run for 60 minutes not 30 I should be able to.

Sure, yes, I do go to the gym right after work. But I know that if I go home, make dinner, get settled on that wonderful couch of mine it is a lost cause. I have to knock it out right after work or it just is not happening. I do go at the peak time, but still. It is 100% absurd. It is always going to be love hate, love hate, till I finally break and cancel. I just know it.

5 comments:

  1. I used to go the gym as well but I cancelled cause I just love being outdoors so much more. It does make it harder when the weather is horrible but I try to do stuff at home then. The money I now save on gym membership means I get buy myself some sports gear instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry to hear about the inconvenience you encounter at the gym. i hope it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you are going to hate hearing this but...go in the morning ;) Or at lunch time. Both of those times are way less of a cluster. And it doesn't help that you go to a gym in the heart of Buckhead either. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Then there's always Lifetime... 200+ pieces of cardio equipment - I've never seen every single one filled... Bigger lap pool... Not sure about the spin classes though (I know we have them but not sure how fast they fill up).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I love Lifetime. If they were not so far away I would trade my membership in a heart beat. When I move back to DC that is the first thing I am doing -- joining Lifetime.

    ReplyDelete