Monday, March 30, 2015

Giving Back – Work Community Day

Once upon a time I created a 30 before 30 list. Well… don’t be fooled. I am no longer under 30 and I completed 8 of the items out of 30. Yeah. Pretty awful. I know. BUT! I had the opportunity to complete one of the items this past weekend with my company. So, while it doesn’t actually count, I can now take #29: Volunteer with Habitat for Humanity off my bucket list.

habitat1

This past Saturday my company volunteered on a build with Habitat for Humanity and I really cannot call it a “build” since the house was finished – but we got to help with things like cleaning and touching up paint on both the inside and the outside of the house as well as landscaping. Let’s just say, it was an interesting experience but an overall great opportunity.  I saw my first ever crack head {true story} and we got yelled at by the neighbor lady who lived next door for being too loud when she was  trying to sleep {in her defense it was like 8:00 AM and she had gotten off work at 11:00 PM} … but it really makes you realize how lucky you are and how deserving some people are.  The woman who was the future home owner was gracious and she appreciated everything that we did for her and the other volunteers.  It was just a honor to help build a house for her to live in with her daughter and her 2 grandsons {who were adorable, by the way}.

I did a little bit of everything – I raked dirt to remove big rocks to prep the ground for sod and then I helped carry sod {which by the way is heavy and dirty} ahabitat3nd then I did some paint touch up on the outside of the house {and managed to not spill any paint on the front porch}.  Everyone kept telling Kyle, “see she can totally do yard work, she just tells you that she can’t”.  And well, yes. Yes, I can do yard work I chose not to – after all, someone needs to watch McKenna.  So – we just took pictures with our yard tools and covered in dirt to prove that we can do the work – just chose not to unless we are volunteering! =D

I think the biggest thing that I learned was that these homes are just not given to individuals – they have to earn that house.  The potential owner has to apply to be part of the “Habitat Family” and they must have a steady job and good credit.  They also have to work on the house for 250 hours as it is being built and they have to participate in a years worth of “homeownership”" education”.  I never realized that the future homeowners had to do so much and that they would be  side by side with all the volunteers working on the house.  My only regret was not taking the time to tell her congrats after the house was dedicated to her.  That house was something that she had wanted and wanted and now she finally had it.

Overall – it washabitat2 a cold day with great fellowship with my coworkers giving back to a family that so very much deserved the cute little house that was built for them by strangers who elected to give up a Saturday of their time.  The work was not hard, in fact there really was not a lot of work to get done since the house was done and all we had to do was odds and ends before the house was ready for the dedication ceremony we got done fairly easily. 

I have to say, it feels good to work for a company that gives back to its community. I would 100% do it again and maybe next time I can swing a hammer or put up a wall or something more builder like.  OR I can do something a little less dangerous like paint or rake dirt again.  After all, I am not sure I should be wielding a nail gun or even a screw driver.

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome opportunity, and congrats for crossing off another item on your bucket list!

    ReplyDelete