Sunday, July 4, 2010

the infamous peachtree roadrace

i remember last year when i signed up for my first half marathon, everyone asked me if i was running “the Peachtree”. “the what?!” i would answer?  i then remember people wanting to sell me their race number to “the Peachtree”.  to me it was just a 10k. little did i know it was a big deal here in Atlanta.  Owning a coveted Peachtree road race shirt was the ultimate goal and getting up cardiac hill.  i just didn’t understand the hype.

fast forward a year later. i still remember running the ING half marathon, taking an ice bath, and telling myself that i could not fall asleep i had to sign up for the infamous Peachtree road race. the sign up process took me 2 hours but i was in. i would be able to run down and up Peachtree, 6.2 miles of it on the 4th of july. i felt like one of the cool kids who was going to get the tee-shirt. And then I had to wait months for it to actually happen and man did it sneak up on me.

on Friday i left work to go make some sales calls Downtown and to pick up my race number.  The whole thing blew my mind and I realized that this wasn’t just any 10k, this was a pretty big deal.  The Expo was huge with tons and vendors and booths – it reminded me of a marathon/half marathon expo.  I walked around a bit – but quickly headed back to the office, race number in hand.  Oh and there was a LINE at 10:00 am to get in. 

onto race day…  I had a 7:55 start, so I was on the MARTA (or at the station by 6:30 AM). I forgot my muffin so I knew I would be running on an empty stomach and on top of it all I had done a horrible job of hydrating the past 2 days. Once I got to Lenox, I was blown away again.  all.the.people. i don’t even think i can put into words just how many people were surrounding lenox mall, it was unreal but a totally awesome experience. it reminded me of a college football game, people were walking around holding up fingers indicating they needed a scalp a number because they wanted in on the “fun”.  I found my Coral around 7:30 and entered in … only to hear the national anthem be sung and watch the flyover … which gave me total chills. …25 minutes later, I was OFF and running.

honestly, I have driven down this stretch of Peachtree thousands of times.  So many times, I could probably do it blindfolded, but this was a whole different experience. If you know anything about ATL, you know that Peachtree Rd. is busy all the time.  And today, this big 6 mile stretch of road was just closed – in both directions.  Blew my mind.  It was like a 6.2 mile party of people cheering and bands and other runners just having a GREAT time on the 4th.  Everyone told me to not RACE the Peachtree, to just enjoy it and take in the sights and the sounds and to check out all the spectators who are dressed up and out cheering us runners on.  …I tried my best, but I also wanted to try and get a fairly good time. (it’s the competitor in me) :o)  The first few miles was a challenge, it was congested, runners got in the wrong Corals and it seemed like I was having to stop and walk around walkers from the VERY beginning.  Around mile 1 I got attacked with lulu love by the Buckhead Lululemon girls since I was in head to toe lulelemon and it made me laugh, smile, and get super excited!  they covered me in stickers and gave me a red, white, & blue lei and took pictures of me dancing around mile 1. honestly, that was probably the highlight of my peachtree race since i am SO lululemon obsessed.

mile 2 and 3 don't have any real memories to be quite honest. i just remember hundreds of people. Around mile 4 I realized that I was not going to PR nor was I going to get a rocking time so I just decided to enjoy the race.  I got a high-five and a hug from a client around mile 4ish/4.5 – I was in awe at the amount of people lining the streets in  (you crossed over the 85 bridge and entered midtown and BAM people everywhere) – i tried to high 5 every kid who offered their hand and took watermelon and freeze pops from people offering them.  I was unable to get UP cardiac hill, but I blame that on the family of 6 walking up the hill drinking their starbucks frappachinos and around that time, I pretty much wanted to die since I was so dehydrated and hungry.  Running past all the hospital patients that were outside of Sheppard Hospital practically brought me to tears and I gave my 4th of July lei from the Lulelemon girls to a little girl in a wheelchair who was cheering us on.  I loved how churches along the route had pushed back their worship & gathered their congregation to cheer us on and then there was one church that was spraying “holy water” (which was somewhere between mile 2 and 3). when i saw cami cakes i suddenly wanted a cupcake, but a few minutes later i saw a lady handing out mini cupcakes and the thought of eating a cupcake made me want to vomit. (i know, i know ME. not take a cupcake?!)  I know I already said it – but the amount of people who just woke up to get a spot on peachtree to watch 55,000 people run and cheer us on… it was amazing. I feel like the turnout for this race was way bigger than the turn out for The Disney Marathon which is nuts.  i honestly was just having a fun time looking at the crowd, weaving in and out of the people, and enjoying the race.

I looked at my watch around mile 5.5/6 and realized, wait maybe I can PR and if I do not PR I will be pretty close to my best 10k time and took off running.  As I rounded 10th street to head into Piedmont Park I was at 1:08 and as I saw the finish I bolted. …I didn’t PR like I thought I did and at first i started to kinda beat myself up about it saying “if only you had run a little bit more on the downhills” and “if you had just pushed a little harder to get up the hills and swerved around the walkers”, but then i calmed down and thought hey… it’s okay. I finished.  I ran the Peachtree and have one of the coveted shirts. it was my 1st race with my yurbuds and they’re an amazing product  …Now I want to do nothing but watch TV in bed (mainly lifetime) all day.

I would say my only complaint was the volunteers who were not monitoring who was entering the Corals.  I looked around Coral F this morning and was surrounded by “J” and “W” and “R” and “S” and “T” – you get the picture.  It made it an annoying start because people in my coral were literally there to WALK it, yet they didn’t want to wait for their 9 am start.  As I zipped past people around mile 2 and 3 I noticed that I was passing people with Corals that hadn’t even started yet.  I know it’s more of a fun event, but I stay to the far middle and close to the right because I am slow and like to take walk breaks… it was frustrating to be blocked by people who were just there for giggles who should have started after the people who actually wanted to try and do well (like me).

mile splits: 10:04, 10:02, 10:54, 12:46 (hello hill to kick my ass), 12:20, 11:13, 10:00  :: finish time: 1:10:22 :: average pace: 11:09

started strong and finished strong… with 2 miles in there that must have been the true up hills! :o)

hope everyone had a great 4th!!

8 comments:

  1. What a great experience, huh?!
    Great run and great report!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun race report! This race was just featured in Runners World, right? Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! LOVED reading about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah: I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if Runner's World talked about it. Evidently it is the largest 10k in the world... intense!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I heard about this a couple years ago from some guys I met in a race here. Sounds like an awesome experience - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great write up and way to capture the day in words. I am one of the crazy ones that actually try to get a good time as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice race report! I've heard a lot about the Peach Tree. I hope to do this at some point in my life. I have friends that ran the ING 1/2. I donated money to find a cure for Lupus :) Atlanta really has some great races.

    One of my best friends is about to move there! I'll probably visit in the next year. Maybe we could run together/ meet up. (This would be months down the road). Hope you had a great fourth!

    ReplyDelete