Friday, July 23, 2010

i ran to the office today.

oh.my.gosh. i put on running shoes and hit the pavement. holy smokes, i remembered how to run. it was not pretty, but it was miles and every one of them counted. no seriously. this Sunday would have marked 3 weeks of no running and that is not okay in my book. but i made the decision a week or so ago that since Fridays are typically slow and uneventful in the morning that I would hit the pavement at 7 am and run to the office. shower there. and then work 8+ hours.

yesterday morning i packed up work clothes and shower stuff & left them at the office (forgetting to pack both shoes and underwear, SO i got to run with underwear in my fanny pack like thing. Hot, I know and well, I have a shoe closet under my desk at work so I had 4 pairs of black heels to chose from so I was covered). Last night I spent close to 1 hr updating my iPod and deleting things off for my 6 new running songs **Christmas list: new iPod with more space!** and drinking water and I crawled into bed early since I wanted to be out the door by 7 and I am normally taking the dog out at 7.


so how was run #1 to the office?! well. it was pretty awful all the way around. I do not even know where to start other than the beginning. It was 79 but felt like 99 with 84% humidity. I could barely make it 1 mile without having to take a breather and walk. Looks like no more 3 week breaks for me. Around mile 2 I am passing Oglethorpe University, look to make sure it's safe to get in the crosswalk, it is so I run into the crosswalk and BAM boy in silver murano texting and driving nearly wipes me out (hey moron: it's illegal to text and drive in GA). My hands are banging on his hood, I am SCREAMING at him and he still isn't stopping. He sees me. Looks terrified. And speeds off. Luckily, I spotted him and was able to stop as my hands hit the side of his car and hood. It could have been worse but I hope he has nightmares...every night for years. Kid didn't even stop to make sure I was okay, I was so pissed and threw my water bottle at him and screamed some choice words. (Can you imagine me being put in an ambulance and them going through my fanny pack and finding underwear, that would be mortifying, they would be like ummm why does this girl carry underwear wit her). I was pretty mad about the whole thing and I could never but could never get my heart rate down & I couldn't calm down so I ended up walking the basically the last 3 miles and all I could think about was thank freaking god for my RoadID. *seriously, if you do not have one it is an amazing investment & it really isn't expensive* I had crazy indigestion (thanks Chick-fil-a spicy chicken sandwich) so I wanted to puke, find a bathroom, & die around like mile 4. The Garmin stopped working around mile 4 too. It just wasn't my day for a run.

up until today I wanted to run to the office everyday and keep track of my time and see if i could do it faster and faster each week. Now I am not too sure, but then again it's like riding a bike, you fall off but have to get back up and keep trying. What the likelihood of me being almost hit EVERY week?! Peachtree Road is such a battlefield.

tomorrow morning i am off to Alabama for my friend son's 1st b.day party but i am hoping to get my swim in afterwards and Sunday I hope to get in a semi long run. i hope you all have a fun weekend planned!! have a great weekend guys!

8 comments:

  1. YAY! You did it and that's all that matters! I'm proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on running to the office - that's just awesome! Now, next time (please let there be NO next time) get the jerk's license plate number and turn his @$$ in!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NIce job running to your office. And I am so happy to hear you are okay!!!! Some people just have zero common sense in the world, the least he could have done was stop to make sure you were okay.
    I completely agree with you that every one needs to purchase an RoadID, they are amazing. I just hope I and other's never have to use them.
    Keep your head up lady, running will come back to you :)
    Have a wonderful Friday & weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YIKES! Every runners worse nightmare. I hope that kid thinks about how UNimportant that text message was. On the upside, you next run HAS to be better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you didn't get killed by that car this morning! Crazy drivers

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGosh on your crazy guy! That for sure can not happen every week, so you are safe to do it again! LOL Great job on running to work! If mine wasn't 23 miles of highway, I may join in ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks girl!! Forever 21 for $22!! Best dress I've ever worn I think! :) Great job running to your office!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phew! That stressed me out!!!
    Glad you made it safely and I know exactly what you mean about Peachtree - Oglethorpe is right by our place and that whole stretch can be touch and go.
    You won't take long though to get back in the swing of things. :)

    ReplyDelete