Saturday, May 8, 2010

First Swim.

I survived my first swim since I was like in high school not that I was actually scared that I would drown, but I knew it would be a challenge.  I had heard that swimming is great for runners – easier on the joints, helps build endurance, blah blah blah so I thought what the heck and gave it a whirl.  Honestly, it wasn’t bad – hard – but not bad.  I think I shall make it my Saturday workout and every week shoot for more laps than the week before.  …you know make me work harder and get better… kinda like running.

I will have to say that I feel there should be some unspoken rule that you do not speak to others in the gym pool.  There I was in my one piece bathing suit like a 4th grader who’s parents won’t let her wear a 2 piece just yet and my bright purple goggles chugging alone, trying not to sink or swallow water and there was two different fellas who wanted to chat it up.  I wanted to swim, they wanted to learn about Barbie, I wanted to tell them to shut up but I am too nice and talked back … which killed my workout because I wanted to swim for 30 minutes and get in 30 laps (1 lap = down & back).  Well I hit the 30 minute mark and had only done 16 laps.  no biggie… but next time I hope the chitter chatter does not happen.  OR I could just save my pennies and invest in a H2Audio (if i really make swimming a weekly thing).

If you swim … has it benefited you?!

In other news, Kyle & I are on a pretty set schedule when it comes to work outs.  He goes to the gym Monday & Friday, I go Tuesday & Thursday.  He asked me to flip flop Thursday & Friday so I would go on Friday instead.  Being the nice person I am, I agreed and I am actually pretty excited because I have been wanting to give this Bootcamp class a try and it is only on Fridays.  So, now I will have Tuesday Spin & Friday bootcamp with runs during work hours on Mondays & Wednesdays.  I also think I am going to take my dog on “mini runs” instead of walks because it will use up more energy, I will get more miles in, and I really do want to make my pup pup a running buddy. …I will report back on how that works out.

That is all.

5 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to get into swimming but I am honestly so intimidated by the pool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They make waterproof music players?! Gosh that almost makes getting in to a swimsuit without a cover-up intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My body glide got here already!! wohoo!! I'll post about it soon.

    Love your description of feeling like a kid in your one piece, I totally know what you mean

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swam for a couple of months at the beginning of the year. I took a class to help me with my form, but I pretty much dropped it after that. it always seemed like a hassle to have a suit, towel, cap, etc. it's a good workout but doesn't feel the same as a hard run where you are crazy sweaty and tired.

    and I hope your 8 miles went well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL - I'm glad to see that my wife and I aren't the only ones with crazy schedules.

    I swim, but more often than not it is mostly cannonballs. BUT, I need to swim (and probs need to sign up for a class or something too)

    ReplyDelete