Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Not a Garmin but a Timex.

if you have been reading my blog you know that I am coveting the new Garmin Forerunner 610 with the heart rate monitor. if you have not read those posts, no worries, it is just me telling you how much I want a new Garmin but don’t actually need a new one and the reasons why I think I need a new one.  well in life I have this rule when it comes to expensive purchases: if I am still thinking about it 2 weeks later then I can have it.  So if I was going to stick by that rule the Garmin would be mine, but I have decided to put it off for a few reasons.  And those reasons are …

  1. I am not running enough to shell out that much money.  My battery dying Garmin works just fine for my 3 mile runs.  Once I start running again and a lot – new Garmin it is.
  2. I am going to need a new laptop.  For some odd reason my current Garmin will not sync with my laptop so I cannot use the Garmin Connect program.  It synced for awhile (and I LOVED the program) and now it doesn’t.  So if I am going to shell out that much money on a watch I am going to use the Garmin Connect.
  3. The price will go down soon enough – must wait it out. 

But just because I have told myself that I cannot get the Garmin, the heart rate monitorheartrater dream has not died and I still want one. So instead I am getting a Timex Ironman Road Trainer from REI.  All I really want the HR monitor for is Blast900, Spin, treadmill runs, dog walks, Pure Barre, etc…  I do want the HR monitor for outdoor long runs, but the majority of the reason I want it is indoor activities that do not require GPS, therefore, I do not really need the fancy Garmin. 

Plus, since I am buying it from REI I can use my dividend from last year and get a discount and then the money spent on this I will get 10% back from REI for next year and if I do end up getting the Garmin 610 next year then I can use my dividend on it and get ANOTHER discount.

Look at me making educated spending decisions.  Such a grown up. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment