Sunday, August 21, 2011

the newest temporary addition

I know this blog RIGHT NOW is mainly about wedding planning, but I have the plan to shift it to a “Kyle + Barbie Shanahan Shenanigans” type keep up with our lives type thing post wedding day. kennesaw  So I thought maybe I would mix wedding and personal posts in because I know that reading all about flowers and shoes and invitations and dresses can be a bit blah and boring.  So I thought I would humor you with a story about Kyle’s big heart and our foster child, Kennesaw.  And it really isn’t humor – this whole experience has hurt my heart and hurt my faith in people even more.

This past Monday Kyle heard about a dog that was dumped by a family in a neighborhood in Kennesaw that needed a home or some help or both. Per Kyle’s coworker… a car drove up.  There was a bark.  The car drove away.  And then there was a stray dog in this neighborhood. Kyle being the dog lover with a big heart that he is decided he would be the one to take her in.  Me… I was not thrilled. With the stress of planning a wedding and 2 months of constant work travel coming up and already 1 not se well behaved pup I became immediately stressed because I knew her fate if we took her to animal control and I just wouldn’t let that happen.  So, I told him that we could not keep her but we could foster her and actively find her a new home.  But this little Welsh Terrier / Wire Terrier mix has melted my heart of ice (as Kyle was calling it) and everything has been much harder than I thought it would ever be.

The 1st thing I said was that she needed a bath and while bathing her we learned she had fleas – so queue the flea bath and then all the vacuuming of the upstairs.  Kyle took Tuesday off and found out that she was both happy and healthy – no parasites, no heartworms – just a little sad that her parents ditched her but happy we scooped her up.  We got SO super lucky and got a dog that is both house broken and crate trained and she has the sweetest personality ever and has SO much love to givkennye (she loves to give kisses) - we just have to deal with Mulligan being a big old jerk from time to time.  She is our little goldilocks, unable to decide if she wants to sleep In her crate or mulligans or on her plush plaid bed, but that is just one of her many cute characteristics.  I love dogs who cuddle and want to be loved on and all she wants to do Is be by your side, her high jumps and constant wiggles just make you smile and I cannot help but smile when I say “hey Kenny whatcha doing Kenny?!”.

I am a firm believer that a dog knows when they have been saved and to see the joy in Kennesaw’s eyes when we brought her home Monday and then to watch her start to trust us more and more is an amazing feeling.  Kyle and I have had the conversation that he is not to bring home any more strays in the future and I do not think we will EVER foster another dog after this one (even though there are so many pups that need a good home, whether it is a forever home or a temporary one) because it will be hard to watch her go.  (Yes, it has only been 7 days and I adore her.)  I am just so grateful she will go to a home through a rescue organization so there will be a home check to ensure she is going to an amazing family and home that will love her more than her original family did.

Kennesaw had her 1st adoption event today and it went SO SO SO well.  I was a mess the whole time and just cried as families would  kneel down to look at her cute face and accepting smile.  Even talking about her and being introduced to a woman who was handing over her foster to a new home made the water works start more.  But the adoption day went so well because Kennesaw found herself a potential furever home with a woman from Aiken SC who is also adopting another wire haired terrier.  Kenny will have 10 acres of land, a swimming pool, a sister, and a mom who will be home all day long to lovkennae on her.  I know I should be happy for her but a piece of my heart is breaking and so sad that I will have to give her up should this woman pass the home check.   I know that is just me being selfish and we cannot give her a good home with Mulligan being a big old bully and her not knowing where she can go and how that big dog will be acting that day, but I could not help but get attached to this little ball of love. 

Needless to say this was our 1st and last foster.  I don’t know how people foster animals and do not get attached.  The potential new momma to Kennesaw gave me a huge hug as I was crying and told me “thank you. there need to be more good people like you and you fiancé in this world.”  I know her words were supposed to make me feel better, but oh how it made me cry more.

No comments:

Post a Comment