Monday, February 8, 2010

the winter coat.

I want to start by saying that my mother is the nicest woman to walk this earth. She is a people pleaser. She wants to make her kids (and their pets) very happy. Well, Mulligan and us - we live in Atlanta. We're from Northern VA, but we reside is Atlanta. We went home for the Christmas to about two feet of snow. My dog - loved it. I think if he could have had his way he would have stayed outside in it all day. If my yard was fully fenced in, I would have let him ... but it isn't so he had to come in and beg to go out. He never got noticeably cold but my Mom had the brilliant idea that he needed a winter coat. He needed to be warm when he went outside. He could not and would not catch a puppy cold. She asked me what his favorite color was. I told her that when he is with me, it is red. When he is with Kyle it is blue. My Mom told me that she had to "take Mulligan's measurements before we headed back to Atlanta". I told my boyfriend that I thought Mull was getting a coat... I thought he was getting two (a red one and a blue one). Nope. My Mom made a reversible coat.

My Mom came down to Atlanta about a week or so later carrying a fleece, reversible, hooded winter coat for my dog. It is the cutest and most unique/creative thing I have probably ever seen. I loved it instantly. Kyle thought it was cute but was skeptical that Mully would like it or even wear it. Mulligan. He hates it. He thinks it is absolutely horrible. When we first put it on him he tripped all over the harness that goes across his chest. Literally, it was the item that we put on him to calm him down. Acting like a nut job? Just put on the coat. Need a breather from the menacing, just put on the coat. Not quite the use my Mom had intended for it, but hey it was getting used... and used a lot. (Hey, sometimes we just need a break from fetch or chase). He would sit on his bed or in the corner and just sit ... wondering what he did to have to wear the coat with a hood. We used to laugh and say he looked so so cute. And then... my little man got really smart. He learned how to take it off himself. Sure, at first it took 3-4 minutes for it to come off but now it is an instant reflex. So, after a struggle we get it on him and start to relax. Only to hear the Velcro ripping off him and then a few big shakes sends the coat flying. So much for a calming coat. Now, he thinks it is a toy. He would much rather run around with it and munch on the seams then use it as a coat. I am sure my Mom would really like to know that she slaved over a winter coat to keep him warm has turned into a toy. ...It actually now just sits in the top of our coat closet ... with the other coats.
I want to say thanks Mom for the effort. It was and is always greatly appreciated. I wish Mully wasn't such a mean child and would wear it around, but I think he thinks he is too cool and that it will hurt his chances with the ladies. ....But my Dad called it when he said that the dog wouldn't wear it. Oh well. It was cute while it lasted.

1 comment:

  1. OH. MY. GOSH. How freaking, stinking cute ;)

    ReplyDelete