Saturday, February 20, 2010

Soothes my Soul.

The other day when I was walking my dog my neighbor Mike mentioned that he has not seen me out running lately. I basically thanked him for calling me out and told him that work was running my life and it the cold was scaring me away. He laughed and asked me why I did run so much this past summer. I told him that I was training for my first half marathon last summer and that I continued to run because running was one of the many things that soothed my soul. He nodded and we parted ways.

It was true though. Running really is something that soothes my soul and it is a cheap form of therapy. It just seems like whenever I have a lot on my mind, need some time to myself, or just want to think and clear my mind running helps more than just talking to someone about it. It is my time to think about what is going on and think about the next step. Sometimes I just have to run because my dog and boyfriend are driving me bonkers. For me running really is just my personal time and sometimes that personal time is needed more than other times. Today, I really needed that time to myself (and I invited Lady Gaga to join). I know I didn't run too far today, a little under 4 miles, but it was just what I needed today. There has been a lot going on in my life the past month or so and I have never really had the time to sort it all out. I learned a lot more last night and I just really needed a good long run. I do not want to get into the details, but cliff notes version: someone who I thought was a good friend really isn't and she has stabbed me in the back. The worst part is that she does not know that I know everything and I cannot confront her about it.

....But today's 30 minutes therapy session made me realize how I am going to handle the situation and what the next steps are going to be. ...Needless to say, there will be some BIG changes in my life later this year and as much as they scare me and make me apprehensive, I am excited for them and will welcome them with open arms.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't been running far due to my knee, but an easy 3 or 4 mile run really works wonders on my mind. You are lost in your own thoughts and able to think things through. I agree with you that it is therapuetic.
    I hope good things will come to you this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long runs are pretty much a long meditation for me. Especially in a setting like Kennesaw Mountain where I can feel alone with nature. Believe it or not I was even paced for about 100 yards by a slow moving deer one morning. Perfect way to soothe my soul and organize my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one of the best things about running, it's a great time to be alone with your thoughts and sort things out in your head. I hope everything works out for the best, sorry about your friend.

    ReplyDelete