Wednesday, February 17, 2010

It is Cold. Life is Busy.

Every morning for the past few days the thought of running outside in the cold makes me shudder. Last I heard it was colder in Atlanta than it is at the Winter Olympics. And to be honest, that is out of control. I moved to the south for mild winters not freezing ones. ...I digress. But all this cold weather has been zapping my motivation to run and with ING 4 or so weeks off I am beginning to realize that I am stepping into yet another half marathon that I am NOT ready for. Wasn't it one of my resolutions to actually take endurance events seriously and train for them? I just do not know how people muster up the willpower to get out in 20-30 degree weather and run. My lungs burn, my Garmin freezes my wrist, and I feel just miserable. I know I am a HUGE baby and I should just suck it up ... but for some reason I just cannot warm up when I run in freezing temps.

On top of it all I wonder how people work 40 hour work weeks and still log 40+ miles each week. I know it is all about scheduling your workouts and staying focused and keeping your eye on the final goal, but after working a 9 hour day (sometimes longer) and constantly being on call all I really want to do is make dinner, take the dog outside a few times, sit on the couch, watch mindless TV, play with my dog, read my book, and then go to bed. In that order. Lately I have just been so exhausted and want to do nothing but relax and take it easy. It was so much easier to get out after work to run when it wasn't cold and dark too. It was also so much easier when I would take a mid-day break and run for a hour, but the office is just so busy right now that it is not possible. I just do not know how people do it and I have major respect for them.


I have been super inconsistent with the weekly spin class and weekly swims and weekly pilates class as well. Sunday mornings are just so much more peaceful in my warm bed than trekking to LA Fitness. I wanted to run 48 and some miles this month and I think I am at like 8 total. Granted I do have a 10k next weekend and I will get some miles in this weekend I am going to be no where near the 48 mile mark. I just always feel so stretched thin and pulled in 4 million directions and like there is not enough time in the day. My friend Erin gets up some morning at 5:30 AM to work out and I think she is out of control, crazy to do so but I respect her dedication to running and staying in shape. ...I think I just need her to share that with me.

Maybe I am just impatiently waiting for spring. I do know that I am over all this cold weather and I really do miss running and the time it is for me to clear my mind and decompress. I just would much rather run on the streets than the treadmill. Where is the sunshine and cool weather and pretty flowers?! I miss you!

3 comments:

  1. I'm over the cold weather too. It's funny I used to love winter before I started running. I think prefer running in Texas summers over running in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbie this motivation is new to 2010 for me. It's frustrating because if you pay attention to my weigh ins I'm not really losing weight at all. But, I'm sleeping better. I feel better. And I get more stuff done when I get up and do it. I definitely eased into my am workout routine- started just one day a week and then added a day. This is the first week I've gone every day. As for outdoors- my runs are only outdoors on the weekends. The rest of the week, I'm in the gym checking out a hot guy, watching sports center and trying not to kill myself on the treadmill. You'll get there slowly...
    Thanks for the mention and looking forward to next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree about the weather. I've been staying indoors. Um, and i haven't been running at all, and I am signed up to do the ING Half. I figure, worse comes to worse, I can walk that bad boy:)

    ReplyDelete