Sunday, January 24, 2010

...cross training...why?

Everyone knows that I have a love hate relationship with cross training. I have no problem lacing up my shoes and hitting the pavement, but when my run schedule says "Rest/XT" ... I like to chose the rest option and watch reruns of the Jersey Shore on MTV or Frank the Entertainer's Basement of Love on VH1. When training for both Nike & Disney I did very very very little training other than running. Now that I am training for ING in March I decided to incorporate cross training and see how it helps me on race day and in general. ...I call this more of an experiment than anything...

First things first. What is cross training? Mr. Hal Higdon explains it as: It is any other form of aerobic activity that allows you to use slightly different muscles while resting (usually) after your long run. He says the best cross training activities are swimming, walking, and cycling. He also says to combine two different cross training activities (example: swimming and cycling)

My research began on both Twitter (follow me: @bamabarbie06) as well as googling the obvious "cross training" ... "cross training for running" ... "cross training marathon" ... etc ...

I stumbled across this marathon training page and they had a whole section on cross training that was literally screaming "barbie! read me!" According to them cross training is good because it (1) prevents burn out (2) can serve as an injury prevention measure (3) increases upper body strength *which helps as you go UP hills* .... types of good cross training are: (1) cycling and spin (2) swimming (3) indoor rowing (4) elliptical trainer (5) stair climbers.
Runners World also had an article back in '06 that explained the 4 keys to cross training... which made a lot of sense. What I thought was the most interesting was that you should pick workouts that are closest in terms of running such as water running, spinning, elliptical, and ski machines.
Cool Running (Twitter: @coolrunning) had a "mix it up" article and they hit the nose on the head. I want to incorporate cross training to improve my running, increase my speed, and build my endurance. They mentioned that for runners who want to improve all that fun stuff the best activities are: biking, weigh training, soccer, water running, stair climbing, aerobic dance, walking, and swimming.
And lastly, Livestrong gives us cross training newbies 5 things that we need to know... and they also really answered my question about WHY?! Long story short: Cross training gives runners an alternative way to strengthen and prepare the body.

...what I did read from every site was to not over due it. ...so does that mean I should have more than 1 official rest day. Or is it okay to have just 1 and make that the day before my long run?!

Twitter has a HUGE running community. After running Disney I realized that I really do have an amazingly awesome running twitter family. They are more than supportive and informative and have been instrumental in my running. So I though they would be a great resource. I presented them with the question "In your opinion, what's the point of cross training and what is your favorite cross training activity".

..here is what I gathered & it supported my Internet research..
@sketch678 - I think it's to strengthen some of your support muscles. His fave: Spin Class & Indoor Rowing.
@TCRunner288 - Cross Training prevents overuse injuries and keeps me mentally fresh for runs.
@bonniegartley - she does yoga (for strength training) or the stationary bike.
@rwrodgers - I think the point is variety maybe? He does yoga.

So. The purpose? ...I guess I have gathered that it is there to supplement your running. It helps strengthen other muscles in your body which will ultimately help prevent injuries. Not put you in a bubble so you will never get hurts, but it will help prevent injuries. It also helps you not get burnt out... switching it up gives you variety so you don't get tired of the pavement all the time. It also helps build muscles that help you on race day. Like, who would have thought that upper body strength helps on the up and up of hills. Also, other cardiovascular activities help build your endurance which will keep you moving towards the finish on race day. And that's the point right?

....needless to say, I think my plan of spin classes, elliptical workouts, and swimming are going to be effective. There have been a few classes at LA Fitness that I have been wanting to add into my training (especially since I do my runs mid day) that I may give a whirl. Anything to help build endurance and better my race day potential. What I wasn't thrilled to read came from The Kenyan Way - Pilates evidently will greatly improve your performance. If only it wasn't so boring... but if it helps maybe I will go every other Sunday... maybe.

Now lets just hope my poor muscles can make it through this week! :o)

Happy Running all! Have a great week!!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post, Barbie! You're really getting into this, I'm proud of you! I also have problems with cross training. I would much rather rest, and when running 4 days per week, who wants to fit anything else in. I will say that weight training will by far change your body for the better, sculpting sexy muscles. I do Zumba because it's fun and my friend teaches it. I would love to try spin, but am afraid my butt will hate me for it afterwards. Wii Active was a great option and really kicked my butt. Strength training is easy to fit in after a 2 or 3 mile run if you are already at the gym, and if you train at a high enough intensity you will keep your heartrate up a good bit. Good luck, and thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I normally ignore the cross training days on my schedule too but lately I've been thinking about riding my bike, I mean, it's just sitting in the garage all lonely and bored. You've inspired me, I guess I'll give it a shot. :)

    ReplyDelete