Monday, April 12, 2010

nose injury & new girlfriend.

Mulligan had quite the weekend this past weekend.  I guess I will start by saying we have kept him away from other dogs (other than his brother) for a little under a year.  He had 3 really good friends in our apartment complex, but thanks to Obama and his 1st time homebuyer deal all his friends from birth moved into houses with yards and said bye bye to Mulligan.  On top of that, he used to go to daycare but evidently he didn’t like being bombarded by a lot of dogs and he was too high maintenance.  (He would get snappy if too many dogs wanted to play with him at once, so he spent a lot of time in time out.) ….Needless to day they asked him to not return till he got a bit older.  We also would take him to the not-so-official dog park, but then the cops kept coming so we stopped going.

Fast forward about 5 or so months and Mully had his first doggie interaction this past weekend with my co-worker’s dog, Sophie.  And well, they’re in puppy love.   I was a little hesitant to take Mull over to meet Sophie and then head to the dog park because I did not quite know how Mulligan would act/react since it has been awhile since he has been social.  Well… Mulligan and Sophie got along great (once Sophie got over her territorialism - understandable).  They played in the backyard and got use to each other and then we went on a big long walk to the dog park.

Mulligan basically was a loner at the dog park.  He really wasn’t interested in playing with anyone, he just kinda wanted to wander around and sniff around.  Of course, there was this dumb little dog who was a pest who kept picking on Mulligan.  And this dog, was like 3 times smaller than Mulligan.  I kept trying to separate them, the other dog’s owner didn’t understand why I was so annoyed.  But, long story short … the dumb thing BIT MY DOG ON THE NOSE SO HARD IT BROKE SKIN! **see picture**  injury And then to add insult to injury as the dumb thing picked on Mulligan he kept submitting to it kinda waving the white flag, surrendering.  Next thing I know, the little thing and 4 or so of his friends have Mulligan cornered  and are barking at him as another big dog is humping him!!  I literally FREAKED OUT and went running towards Mully to try and rescue him.  The owner of the dog who was humping poor Mulligan didn’t understand why I was panicking so needless to say, I let her have it because it is not acceptable to let your dog dominate another dog.

We left shortly after because I do not think Mulligan was having too much fun.  As sad as it is to say, he reminded me of the little kid who played on the playground all alone with sticks and rocks in the corner.  Luckily, we went back to my co-worker’s house and Mulligan and Sophie played more and cuddled in the backyard. So he now has a new girlfriend named Sophie who is a 4 year old Sharpae-Shepard mix who loves him just as much.  We now ask Mulligan “where’s Sophie?!”  ….they have another play-date this Saturday after my race and I will try to get pictures of them to post!!!  But it was still a sad experience for my poor little guy.

Once again, puppy is not for sale.  We love him too much to let him go currently!  But I will report back later!

No comments:

Post a Comment