Saturday, April 17, 2010

bring the spring 5k

This morning I ran my first 5k of 2010. I do not know how I chose this race but I ran the bring the spring 5k which benefited the Embry Hills UMC Youth Fellowship. Once I signed up and checked out the course, I realized it ran through my brother's neighborhood and I though to myself, wow that is going to be a hill race. And yes indeed it was hilly. A little past mile 2 was the worst of it and the pollen count in the thousands did not help much.

I was kinda worried about this race all together. Not only was I super unprepared, the pollen is out of control, but Kyle and I went to Medieval Times last night (yes, it is a real place, not an imaginary "Cable Guy" place) and well Chicken Leg, Pork Rib, and Garlic Bread isn't exactly great pre-race food. We got home super late and I was asleep by like 11:30. Seeing that I had to be up by 6:45 I knew I was going to be exhausted when my alarm went off.

Overall, the race was a good one. It was pretty disorganized which was a little frustrating. We were scheduled to start at 8:00 and were told everything was running just a little behind... which meant we started at 8:30 am. Once I got running everything that irked me was forgotten. The course and the neighborhood we ran through really is pretty, hilly, but pretty. The volunteers on the course were really excited to be there and cheer us on which was nice. As I mentioned, a little after mile 2 there was quite a slope UP and when I saw it I muttered a few words to myself and tried to truck up it only to fail since I could barely breathe (Atlanta is in major need of a good rain to wash this pollen away). Around 30 minutes I thought to myself that I was not going to PR but I was wrong. I ran my fastest 5k to date by 2 minutes and 11 seconds. Go me!

Here are the mile breakdowns:
mile 1: 9:33
mile 2: 11:10
mile 3: 12:33
last .1: .31
finish time: 33:39
average pace: 10:51

Next on schedule: The Brookhaven Bolt 5k - it will be bittersweet since that was my first race ever! ....Now if I can run it in 30 minutes flat, I will be super stoked!

4 comments: