Tuesday, December 29, 2009

twenty.ten. goals.

it is good to make goals and resolutions right? maybe hopefully you'll stick to them? i have been thinking about my running goals for the new year and have decided to chronicle them here. nothing like having the world wide web hold you accountable right?

as my previous post stated 2009 was my return to running and getting back in shape. however, i felt like a total liar and fake runner. really who signs up for a half and full marathon and doesn't train? walkers put in more miles than i did leading up to both Nike and Disney! ...so that is where I will begin.
  1. resolution one: take this thing called running more seriously. actually TRAIN for big events. don't go out and wing it.
  2. which leads to resolution two: run at the minimum 60 miles per month. do the 10% rule so i do not get injured.
  3. resolution three: incorporate cross training. swim. row. kick box. take spin classes. I signed up at LA Fitness ... now I just have to use it.
  4. resolution four: focus on pace and form to get faster. build my endurance. incorporate hill training, tempo runs, speed workouts. focus on long distances. just get faster.
  5. resolution five: do more races. focus on finding 10ks rather than 5ks. I am at a point where a 5k is fun, but it is not a challenge for me. I want to be challenged in 2010 ~ shall we call 2010 the year of 10ks?! **don't hear me wrong, I will still run them ... work toward a PR, but I want to focus on distance next year!**
  6. resolution six: run a half marathon (or more) and be prepared for it - rock it out!
I know I had this wild and crazy idea to do '10 in 2010' - but instead I think I am just going to focus on finding the love of running, working it into my busy life, and training safely and correctly. With that said, I am for sure doing Disney *of course*, but after that I think I am only going to go ING in March, Seattle with Team in Training in June, and VA Beach in September. One full and 3 half's. We will then see where 2011 takes me.

That is all. Wish me luck. I hope to be able to sit here on 12.29.2010 and say I knocked each one out. Have a very happy new years and all the best to all of you in 2010! :o)

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like some great goals. I'm in a similar boat, 5Ks just aren't a challenge anymore. I'm doing a 5K on Friday but I'm really pushing myself for a PR because I know the distance isn't the hard part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps I will look into VA Beach with you in September. I am going to set up my fitness goals tomorrow in blog form so be on the look out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like we have very similar goals. Maybe we'll end up at one of those 5K & 10K races at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it is good to see those goals that will help you move forward in your running. I too have had some issues with my training for disney World. I have run, but I have not really trained. You will see almost a word for word copy of your resolution number four in my next post. I wish you luck at Disney, and hope we get a chance to meet!- Adam Dopps

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are really good goals for 2010. And very smart too...it's not worth trying to do too much and risk getting injured. here's to finding your love of running again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can do it, Barbie! The hardest thing is making it a priority. I did a great job of doing it this summer, then as soon as my race was over, I let it all go. I think we should sign up for the same half marathon later in the year and meet up and run it together! What do you think?

    ReplyDelete