Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Getting Ready.

12 days to race day. 12 days till the day of realization how unready I am for my 1st ever half marathon. I was actually chatting with my Team in Training run coach and to quote her, she told me "it would be a rough day in San Fransisco" for me. Yay? I cannot act shocked, I think like many people I did not take this as seriously as I should have. (I have a friend running the Chicago Marathon this weekend who has not run in 2 months.) I sometimes wonder how people who work full time can train for a big race like this and still have a life outside of training and work. Maybe it's just me since I work like 50 hours a week. Oh well.

I am not feeling too great but I decided I needed to move my legs a bit yesterday so I hit the treadmill. It reminded me how much I hate the treadmill ... and this line of talk just reminded me I need to charge my Garmin. I am doing some "movement" (as I like to call it) because I am trying to pick my half marathon gear. I got a new pair of kicks the other day so I am working on breaking those in, but I think I may stick with the shoes I have been running in months for. No worries, they're still good... they have not hit the 300 mi mark just yet. The socks that were given me in the race participation bag from the Big Peach 10K the other week were/are awful so I am not wearing those either. I need to go get a long sleeve tech shirt for the race start and gloves. Rumor has it San Fran will be chilly. Awesome? BUT... so far my half marathon itunes playlist for race day is amazing so I am happy about that.

I am keeping on keeping on. I am up for a BIG run on Saturday and then I am gonna do little runs all next week. I am in no way prepared for this, but all in all I signed up to support my friend who is battling Leukemia and to raise money to blood cancer research and to date I have raised $4700. So at least I feel like a rockstar is one aspect of this adventure!

2 comments:

  1. Barbs, most people buy crap clothes they can shed at the start and not worry about. At a lot of the races, they pick these up and donate to a charity in the area. Just something to think about.

    Also, I did not get socks in my bag?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbie, I ran Sunday's 13.1 ATL half marathon with these arm sleeves: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-AARMWAR.html

    They are only $8 at Phidippides at the Ansley Mall. They were perfect for me. Kept my arms warm, but I didn't have to wear a long-sleeve shirt. The benefit is, if it warms up during the race, you can just slip them off and tuck them into the waistband of your shorts or throw them away. Something to think about...

    ReplyDelete