Sunday, October 11, 2009

hunt for the perfect pair of socks.

So one of the "big rules" of marathon training is "nothing new" for the last two weeks of training. But, let me tell you a little story. I still have not found a pair of socks that really wow me and make me want to run a 13.1 miles in them. Granted, so far my Adidas sport socks from Stienmart are the leader, I did what I was not supposed to do but went out and bought another pair of socks to give them a whirl.

I went to REI today to stock up on marathon supplies. I picked up GUs, a mini body glide to bring on the run, gloves, and a pair of Wigwam Iron Man Velocity Plus socks (in pink of course). Evidently they ... repel moisture, prevent blisters, are lightweight, and foot hugging. All things I look for in a sock! They don't have quite the padding I am looking for, but I will see if that matters or does not matter.

The Target Champion brand of socks suck. Thorlos, what people brag about, make my feet want to die because they're in a sauna. Asics ... their socks on average at best. Adidas so far has the best socks but I feel like they could blister. Who would have thought socks are so hard to find.

So other than socks I have my raceday gear chosen. The socks are still to.be.determined.

  • mandatory purple team in training tee. I originally wanted a singlet but then learned it was gonna be freezing so I opted to switch and grab a tee. hopefully, i will not regret that decision.
  • long sleeve white nike fit shirt for the beginning of the race. to be tucked into my shorts because rumor has it midway through the race it gets cold again.
  • black nike fit shorts with pink and purple piping. {i am obsessed with the nike fit line}
  • the same white sports bra I have been running in for months.

Well. this week is all about maintaining, eating right, staying hydrated, and getting plenty of sleep. It is crazy how quickly this moment and race has snuck up on me. And now I am off for a run in full race day gear, just to ensure I like it all and to try and decided how these socks work.

2 comments:

  1. I run in these... http://is.gd/4flIP That is, until I got some new compression socks.
    They are made by Gold Toe and I have Gold Toe for all of my dress socks, so I stuck with that. Plus, these are durable, not too thick, and relatively inexpensive. I got mine at Dick's Sporting Goods in Buckhead. Good luck in San Fran.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wearing Injinji performance socks. I love them, although the heels aren't holding up as well as I'd like. Got them on Zappos.

    http://www.injinji.com/tetratsok/pterformance.htm

    ReplyDelete