Saturday, August 8, 2009

.kickin butt and takin names.

Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today? -- Peter Maher

I have been absent. I apologize. This has been one hectic out of control week in every aspect of my life. Work was/is insane. We lost our recruiter so my branch manager and I [being in sales] have had to dig up the past and step back into the recruiting role while keeping up with what we're being paid to do. I spent many nights at work past closing time. I had/have a sick dog. My dog dug a hole in the drywall of my bathroom [we are in an apartment. joy.] I just have not had a moment to sit down and write. Forgive me. I also had zero time to really run which was a total bummer since this week was scheduled to be the start of kick butt work hard marathon training.

I got 2 runs in this week and I think it totalled about 10 miles. Ekk. However, in my defense... my lower legs were giving me major troubles and pains and I was 'letting them rest'. Yes. Letting them rest, we'll go with that statement. I have started running to the dog park to meet my boyfriend and dog. It's a little over 3 miles but practically all uphill. I need to start running back rather than hitching a ride though. Last night I had a phenomenal run. I did a little over 5 miles and it felt great. I meant to grab my phone and my ID as well as insurance card (2 runners had tree branches fall on them this week... better safe than sorry) but of course I forgot them. I don't know if it was the new play list, the nighttime Atlanta temps (little to no humidity), my sheer determination to have a good run or the fact that it was getting dark and I am in Atlanta and I was running alone [getting snatched is not on my bucketlist] ... but it was great. I was told to never stop moving... if I had to walk.walk. gallop.gallop. skip.skip. ....well I did some dancing (ehh.. half dance/run ... more like me waving my arms in the air to the beats) down Peachtree... I am sure cars passing by were wondering what in the world. but hey... it kept me moving and made me smile. I also realized that I was/am in desperate need of a tan.

I need to get some more body glide because my fat inner thighs are rubbing together and it feels uncomfortable. Plus I was told to get a mini one to carry on race day since it wears off... ...or someone can inform me on how to slim my monster thighs! =)

The one thing I have really begun to realize is that running is 110% a mental game. You brain is telling you you're too hot and too sweaty. Your brain is saying you hurt. I just realized I have to suck it up and keep plugging along or the paramedics are gonna be the ones carrying me across the finish line. And well... I want to cross it on my own with a big fist pump in the air. Whether it takes 4 hours or 7 ... my little feet are gonna cross that finish line. I just have to suck it all up and train!! Who cares about the people I see on dailymile who are running 10+ miles per day... they probably have been running since they left the womb. I have been running for a few months after a whole year off... ....all good things come in time!

In regards to cross training... I just ordered a swim suit and goggles and I am going to start incorporating swimming into my training and I am going to use my Crunch membership and hit some spin classes. Maybe it's my effort to just get in all around great shape but all the cardio in the world can and will help me come October 18!

The current question is: to run the Disney marathon or to not run the Disney marathon. it is 75% full so i need to make a decision.


In complete unrelation [is that even a word????] to running - I have decided to start carrying around a journal with me so when I get frustrated with anything I can write it out. Or if I see a great quote, hear a song lyric, or statement I can jot it down!! I feel like I carry so much stress in my mind/body and if it just wasn't there I would be able to run/train more ... rather than wanting to go home and sleep it all off.

Overall. life.is.good. :o)

PS. I am still fundraising for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society! It is an amazing cause that is so near and dear to my heart. Every donation helps their mission and hopefully there will one day be a cure. Make your donation here: http://pages.teamintraining.org/ga/nikesf09/bvines

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've been through a lot this week. I heard about those runners and the tree branches, what the crap? That is scary! Anyways, you're completely right about running being a mental game. You really have to override your brain. Don't worry, you'll get better at that! I admire your determination. You are going to rock that marathon! Me, I'm going to stick to my little half marathons for now. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I absolutely LOVE your new layout. Where did you get it??

    ReplyDelete