Sunday, May 18, 2014

Brookhaven Bolt 5K - 2014

Yesterday was a big day in the Shanahan house!  Kyle and McKenna participated in their first ever 5k.  Kyle ran his and let me tell you, I am SO SO SO proud of my budding little runner man. McKenna (and momma) walked their 5K and Kyle is SO SO SO proud of me for finishing.  33 weeks pregnant and participating in a 5k – I feel like that is impressive and that this picture should go in little M’s baby book since we have to track things before her birth! ….and I can tell her that she was a running baby before she was even born!

brookhavenbolt

We got up early, typical race morning, and my not so morning person husband was actually pleasant to be around.  I was hoping my Lululemon tank was still long enough to cover my ever growing belly and I wouldn’t have to redneck it up with my stomach partly showing – and thankfully it did.  {Seriously pregnant ladies – well worth the high price, but the Lululemon Cool Racer Back tanks have been a pregnant girls workout life saver since the tanks are so so so long} I did get a bit nervous when my  running shoes were too small due to feet swelling, but since the weather was so cool and not May like, the swelling went down pretty much immediately when we got outside.  We grabbed some breakfast and then trekked from the ‘burbs into Brookhaven for the race and since this was my 3rd time participating I knew the drill which made the morning a lot easier. We ran into my brother and his friend before the race and chatted with them then we all split up at the start.  my brother and his friend went closer to the start, so did Kyle, and I buddied off with my friend Evin who was pushing her oh too adorable son in the stroller.  I was (and still am) so grateful I had Evin to chat with because it made the walk so by so much faster and we were just ticking off miles.  Plus, I think the cooler temps were a big help and helped keep the swelling down since I never really got hot or broke a sweat.

Kyle ended up finishing the race in about 31 minutes and then he turned around and came back to find Evin and me and walked with us a little bit.  Evin’s husband did the same thing – so by the time Evin and I got to the finish line we had her husband and Kyle with us.  They bounced off the course before the finish line to not mess up their chip times and then we all hung out for a bit at the finisher party. I finished in 54 minutes, which is pretty impressive since we (1) walked and (2) I am 33 weeks pregnant!  I thought it would take me well over 1 hour.  ….but the competitor in me and past runner had to beat myself up a little bit for being so low in the age group rankings + overall rankings and kyle keeps reminding me that I  (1) walked, (2) am pregnant, and (3) beat over 200 people who are not pregnant and participated.  Look at him, always being so encouraging. 

Kyle and I bailed out pretty quickly, after not feeling bad for 3.1 miles, my hips and back started hurting and I was having a little bit off discomfort so we headed to brunch {where I had the most depressing hot chocolate} and then back to the house for me to whip out the heating pad for my back and take a nap.

But it was another good run for the Brookhaven Bolt.  And Kyle asked if we could do it every year and he asked when our next 5k will be.  So, I think we have another one tentatively on the books for October and we will push McKenna in the jogging stroller – bundle her up and go for a little jog.  I think I have a little running man for a husband now and that make me excited! ….he was even saying that he thinks he could totally go a 10K.  I told him to pump the brakes and to let me catch back up in the running world before he goes off the deep end.  Do I have a future marathoner?!

1 comment:

  1. congrats to Kyle! And love how active you have stayed during your pregnancy!! You look great!

    ReplyDelete