Thursday, December 27, 2012

12 Things I Learned in 2012

I am a total blog post idea stealer. I saw this on Oh Well Instead and learned that the  idea game from one of my most favorite bloggers Jenn who is in Atlanta and I swear I will meet in real life in 2013. And I believe with each passing year you learn life lessons and continue to grow as a person. You just have to slow down at times, reflect and then catalog those lessons for the future. So... without further explanation – the 12 things I learned in 2012.

1. Hard work pays off. I have been presented with some excellent opportunities this year and built excellent relationships with people I work with. I hate when my parents are right – but if you work hard enough you really will go far.

2. It is hard to fall off the workout wagon and it is even harder to get back on. I cannot even fit in my wedding dress that I wore in March, the gym sounds like a fabulous idea, but it is sooo hard to get back into one.

3. I need ME time like there is no tomorrow. Don’t get me wrong. I love Kyle J. But there are times when I just want to sit back, watch tv, play on the internet, and just be alone. When I am not getting that time I get cranky and irritated. I need to get better at me time in 2013 and warning Kyle when I am about to get cranky.

4. I am a HUGE control freak. I never realized how intense of a character trait {or flaw} this is until I got down to the wire in wedding planning & house hunting & in many aspects at work. I pretty much overwhelm myself because I have to do it or it won’t be done right. Again, I need me time or I go crazy.

5.  You do not need a lot of friends, just a handful of good friends. After having a friend drop out of my wedding and then learn that another good friend was nothing but a liar face, I learned that all you really need in life are friends you can turn to for anything and everything. You shouldn’t have to censor yourself and separate conversations for friends.

6. Stay Humble. It is great to accomplish great and wonderful things. But how you handle those great and wonderful things speaks volumes. It is not attractive or cute to only talk about your successes and be me me me.

7. Ebay is a great way to get rid of your junk/things you don’t need/want anymore. They saying is true – one person’s trash is another person’s treasures. And you can make some quick easy cash.

8. Your happiness {and unhappiness} really does cross over into other parts of your life. So determine if your unhappiness is permanent or momentary and make life adjustments if/when needed.  Happiness is a direction, not a destination.

9.  I think I am an interior designer. Now... lets just see how horrible our new house turns out to be.

10. Some of the most important people in your life will keep secrets from you. You may never know the reason why they chose to not tell you things, but you have to remember there is a reason behind their logic.

11. Sometimes you just have to be there for people. It isn’t always about offering the best advice or siding with someone. Sometimes it is all about just being there for when someone is ready to talk or cry or scream.

12. Lazy Friday night dinners in front of the TV make the best dates. You don’t have to get dressed up or go anywhere, but you’re still spending quality time together. And really, why would you want fight the world on a Friday night after you fought the world for 5 days straight at work?!

Well... with all that said, I hope everyone had a great 2012! :)

4 comments:

  1. Please teach me how to use ebay! I mean I've tried before just the whole auction thing freaks me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are amazing lessons! Stay Humble, be there for others and treasure your close friends. LOVE IT! Thank you for all the kindness and support you've offered me this year - I appreciate you! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your list :) i’ve never sold on ebay. seems like so much work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! I'm so glad that you took the idea for a post- I don't know about you, but, writing 12 of the life lessons I learned in 2012 was a fantastic reflection on the year and all that I've learned.

    We WILL meet in 2013- I promise we will!

    You have some great things that you've learned! I agree with you on every.single.one of these thoughts. So much truth in what you've said.

    Have a great weekend and a happy, happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete