Sunday, October 21, 2012

{30 before 30 :: shooting range}

I can cross shooting guns off my “bucket list” and things I want to do and I can add it onto the “things I will never ever ever do again” list. Long story short: it was pretty bad and unenjoyable.

My friend Afton and I both wanted to go to a shooting range and there was a Sweet Jack deal and we snagged it. And then we planned a fun little outing with a guy we work with who is experienced and thought it would be fun. But it was really nothing like we pictured it.

It was loud. Really loud. There were bullet casings all over the floor. We couldn’t hear a thing {let alone the how to}. We were SO out of place {evidently Tory Burch flats are not appropriate footwear}. There was no safety video for us to watch. Or test to take. Or background check to pass {there could have been felons with us in there}.  There were big guns and big burley men. Again. We were SO out of place.

I decided to go first because Afton look terrified. Fred was giving me/us instructions {that, I couldn’t hear!!} and it all went downhill when Fred decided to demonstrate and a shell came flying at me. I screamed. And almost started crying. So Afton stepped up to the plate to fire away. And I said no way, no how I am out of here.  Afton fired a total of 13 bullets and was done when a shell went down her shirt. she then made me give it a try and i have never been so terrified in my life.

sweaty palms. couldn’t pull the trigger. and when i did, my eyes were closed and i would hop and scream. and i could never remember to take my finger off the trigger when i was done. needless to say, i terrified Fred {and probably many of you readers}. I shot 3 bullets and was done with it.

In total, we bought 100 bullets and shot 16.  We donated the others to Fred since we pretty much wasted his Sunday. And it sounds life Afton will give it another try. Me. Yeah. Not so much.

shootingrange

5 comments:

  1. Oh well. At least you can mark it off your list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbie you crack me up! I'm sorry I know this post isn't suppose to be funny. At least you tried!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good for you for crossing things off your list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that you got one of your 30 in 30's checked off! I imagine myself reacting VERY similarly to you so it's never been something I've gone after doing. Haha I gotta say, you're post reassured me that I'm not missing anything ;)

    Have a great week, girl!

    ReplyDelete