Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Nike Free Saga / Review

Months ago I decided I wanted a pair of Nike Free running shoes but I told myself I would get through Marine Corps Marathon training and running before buying a pair.  Then all of a sudden it was holiday shopping time so I just decided to throw them on my Christmas list. I figured there would not be any problem in finding them or getting them and since they were #1 on my list someone, somewhere had to break down and buy them for me... ...that is until Oprah came out with her stupid "Oprah's Favorite Things" episode and proclaimed that she LOVED the Nike Free Running Shoe. .....and with that every Oprah watching woman in America (and probably the world) went out and bought herself a pair of Nike Free shoes (to probably never ever run in, but to grocery shop and take little Tommy to daycare in).  Oprah is the modern day King Midas... everything she touches (or says) turns to gold and everyone has just got to have it and/or do what she says (i would insert my political opinion here, but that is too controversial so i won't say it.)

And that leaves me... the RUNNER who refuses to buy Vibrams because they look ridiculous but wants to try and "barefoot"/minimalist shoe thing who has heard amazing things about Nike Free shoes ..... shoeless. Ba Hum Bug. :o(

Originally... the plan was to go to zappos and get them for $85 and free shipping.  But thanks to Oprah and her faithful followers I was forced to look all over the Internet for a pair and found a pair at DSW for $79.95 (already cheaper) + free shipping + $10.00 off thanks to rewards gift certificate. So $75.55 with tax.  I did not get the muted blue and gray ones I initially wanted, but ordered a dark gray and loud teal pair.  There is a catch though: I ordered a 9.5 rather than a 10 hoping that maybe they fit. THEN! I went to Dicks Sporting Goods one day (just because) and they had a pair of black and hot pink ones.  In size 10. (and i was right, the 9.5 were too small, so I would have to return them to DSW) So, I snagged them - not really liking the color scheme.  Since I did not like the overall look of the shoe, I did not take them out of my car, I left them in the back seat hoping that maybe when I went to DSW they would have a size 10 and I could just exchange them and then return the pair from Dicks and still get them at the awesome price...  Well the DSW ones came and they were gorgeous and when I went to exchange them... they did not have a single pair of nike free shoes in any size so I had to return them ... leaving me with a pair of black and hot pink shoes ... which honestly are a little too loud looking for me, but I figured beggars can't be choosers and I FINALLY have a pair of Nike Free running shoes so suck it up and run in them.  :: big sigh. deep breathe. big sigh. ::

BUT!!! As I searched for a picture of said loud shoes to post for your viewing pleasure, I stumbled across Shoe Station and across a pair of size 10 in the same coloring of the pair from DSW for $79.99 with free shipping and then with a 20% off coupon making them $69.11 (which was cheaper than DSW and I hate paying full price for anything). SO.. BAM I ordered them with tons of excitement and I tracked the package and tracked the package.  Then, it snowed and iced in Atlanta throwing UPS for a tailspin and closing my office for 3 days.  SO, when UPS was allowed to work again, my office was still closed and UPS tried to deliver my shoes. when they learned that my company was closed, the driver decided to play Santa and gave my shoes to some random receptionist named "nelson" at some random company. enter anger and fear that i may never have the cute shoes and be stuck with the black and pink ones... WELL,  I ended up coming to the office with a sticker on my door telling me to follow the rainbow to find the pot of gold.  Suite 750 had my shoes. My coveted shoes.  And then I returned the other pair to Dicks.

So... after all this, I of course just had to try them out.  And after a few runs and wearing them around the apartment ... my final opinion is this.

  • They are very pleasing to the eye, insanely light, and fight like a sock -- however, the "tongue" of the shoe may drive me nutty.
  • Super comfy.
  • There is VERY little padding on the bottom and that is because they're supposed to simulate barefoot running
  • The toe box is HUGE so the shoe does not feel too tight, yet my toes/foot is snug so I do not predict any bli
  • This may just be me... but I can for sure feel my legs getting stronger
  • I hate my foot getting hot and these are totally breathable
I have a 5k this Saturday in Marietta and I am going to wear these to REALLY give them a whirl and I am going to try them out at blast900 in 2 weeks. 

And with that said. I won't have to buy these as often as my Brooks since I do not see myself logging high miles in them, but I will buy them again.  And thanks to Oprah I am going to have to watch zappos website...

5 comments:

  1. Lol poor girl! I got my Nike Frees last memorial day before Oprah had time to do her damage. I love them, except now my feet hurt in them. I think I was wearing them too often to run in if that makes any sense! So, I think I'll alternate between those and the asics I just got. Which 5k are you doing? I almost wanted to sign up for one just to start my journey of *races*, but I'm sure it would take me a good 40min to do a 5k at this point so I don't know about all that! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you found yours! I have the grey and neon green ones, and I love them. I am NOT a runner, but I walk and do a lot of elliptical time. I just adore how light they are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was quite the shoe buying adventure! I will have to try on a pair next time I am at my local running store ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog! I'm on the fence about my Frees..not loving them this week at all...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool - this is all good information to know! I REALLY want a pair of VFF but maybe I will get Nike Free's instead because they do look a lot better ;)

    ReplyDelete