Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Running Etiquette

We all know that I have an odd fascination/love for twitter (shameless plug: Follow me @bamabarbie06). I don't quite know what it is all about, but I do like posting random thoughts and responding to people's statements. 2 days ago @cool_running asked the question "What are your running pet peeves" and as I got to reading the answers ... it got me laughing, agreeing, and thinking. It took me back to all my Stone Mountain runs and how I typically get so super annoyed because of the inconsiderate runners and walkers taking up the whole path talking about what little Timmy did last night or last week's episode of Glee. Yes, I am a "beginning runner" and I do take walk breaks still and I am slowly learning things but I feel some things that were mentioned as pet peeves just seemed like common knowledge if you were a courteous person in general.

some of my favorite answers: drivers not yielding to runners. people stopping to ask you for directions. competitive runners who finish the course and then run it backwards (okay, you're the hare, I'm the tortoise. Lets not remind me just how slow I am by you running past me in the wrong direction!). people walking side by side taking up the whole sidewalk/path or them walking in the smack middle. people blocking the sidewalk walking towards you who are barely moving, just gossiping. people who walk/run on the wrong side of the path and then don't get out of my way. idiots who yell from cars or honk (trust me boys, when I am running I am sweaty and normally I am also snotty and spitty. Not attractive at all. Don't let the bobbing ponytail fool you.) unruly dogs at local races.

It then got me thinking. What are the rules of the road for running? What are some common etiquette rules for us runners? So since I am still "newbie" and by no stretch of the imagination a pro (despite what my friends like to think), I paired up with my friend Google and did some research. Here are my findings.
  1. when running in the road: run against traffic (so that's on the left). run on the little white line, not in the lane of course. that way the cars can see you coming and both you and the driver can react appropriately. when running on paths/sidewalks: run on the right side. If you approach someone who is walking, slow down so you can pass them safely. It's also nice to announce yourself. Say something like "passing on the left (or right)".
  2. Group running is the best way to do long runs, it is the truth. But run in twos. Just like you're getting on Noah's big boat. two.by.two.
  3. When it comes to races. Runners are supposed to be on the left and in the middle. Walkers move to the right.
  4. Another race tidbit. When it comes to lining up for the start, line up according to ability and be honest. Nothing is worse than having to weave in and out of the walkers. And there is nothing wrong about walking - I do it. Just please move towards the back! ;)
  5. Give a friendly hello, head nod, or wave to fellow runners you pass. A little courtesy in this world is great. And the positive reinforcement really does go a long way.
  6. If you listen to music while running (I do) listen to it at a lower volume. That way you can be alert and aware of your surroundings. Nothing is worse than trying to pass someone who cannot hear you huffing and puffing, your feet, or even you saying your trying to pass. More importantly, so you can hear traffic.

Here is another list of okays and not okays. And most importantly, for whatever reason you chose to hit the pavement do it safely. That way it will be more fun for both you and all us other runners! =)

Have I forgotten anything? What are your peeves? What are some rules I have left out? As a "new" runner I don't want to look like a fool!

1 comment:

  1. Barbie...agree 100% on your running etiquette list!

    Take care,

    "XTB" Xavi from Hong Kong.

    ReplyDelete