Saturday, June 27, 2009

Training Hiatus. Lame.

So I have not done any sort of training since Tuesday and well, I wouldn't even really call it training... I barely ran 3 miles. I have had a killer pain in my left ankle since late last week, but I did not want it to get in the way of my training (stupid. stupid. stupid.) so I kept at it. After my long run last Saturday it was feeling pretty bad so I decided to stay off it until it was feeling better. Tuesday. It felt fine. Really. I promise. But I got around mile 1 and it started to pain me. Nothing too bad so I kept going, 2 miles in it was starting to really hurt but I was determined to run/walk for a full hour. However, I could barely run more or less walk so around 40 minutes I hit stop on the treadmill and hobbled back up to the apartment. ...Ice and Ibuprofen did not help the cause so I had decided to give the marathon training a total breather. ...And with the 'ankle breather' came a 'workout breather' too. (Bad Idea.) I had the idea to do Barry's Bootcamp - upper body - use free weights, and continue with my core workouts. But, I have not done a thing other than eat crap and elevate/ice my ankle since Tuesday.

I have an ankle appointment on Wednesday at 3:45, but that is 4 days away and I think I may go mad if I lay around the apartment for 4 more days. So I decided that starting tomorrow I am going to kick my butt into low gear and do a little bit of training (after all marathon training really picks up this week). I have decided to get up at 7am tomorrow to pool run before it gets crowded. I am going to try to do it for a hour, I heard it kicks your butt, but I also heard it is great for training in general. I may even incorporate it into my cross training days ... but that of course is tbd. I am also going to see if I can do a few miles on the elliptical. I am hoping with the lack of pounding it will be beneficial, plus the elliptical also whoop me. I don't know why - but they wear me out. I also want to get some sessions of Barry's Bootcamp in. I feel like I really just need to stay in shape. The worst thing that can happen is me get back into the 'lazy rut' and then die once I am told it is okay to run again. I am terrified though that the doctor will tell me to stay off it for a while. When I get driven & passionate about something there is no stopping me. And if I have to stop, I will be bummed. Really bummed.

Other than having a bum ankle all is well in the world of me. I am gearing up to buy new running shoes (my mom offered to shell out the big bucks) so I get to head to Big Peach for the first time. I have always gone to Metro Run & Walk back in DC, but now that I am in Atlanta I guess I will be visiting Big Peach. I have a phobia about new shoes. I love the ones I have now and they fit and feel great. The thought of having to break in a new pair does not bring a smile to my face, but my shoes may be the route of all evil. I will let you know how my low-impact training goes. I cannot wait to get back out there. We have the 5 mile long run this Saturday and I can do it, but I want to hopefully do it pain free. If anyone has any ideas, please share! :o)

1 comment:

  1. I really feel for you! I would be really bummed out if I got injured right now, in the middle of my training plan. You definitely want to get some workouts in, though. The elliptical may be a good idea, but if it's still too much you may want to try the stationary bike. Good luck, and I hope your dr appointment goes well.

    ReplyDelete