Sunday, March 31, 2013

.our 1st anniversary weekend.

{i meant to post this at some point last week... but i never actually hit publish...}

i know that all 1st anniversary posts are about to be how wonderful the 1st year of marriage was and how I married my other half and the person who makes me want to be a better person and how we are just so so happy – but that isn’t me. Kyle and I aren’t the mushy gushy couple. Yes. We had a wonderful last year of marriage and it was easy. i attribute the ease of it all not to the fact that we lived together for 4 years before marriage but because we talk – we hash things out, we tell each how it is, we’re open and honest and don’t hold anything back. Plus it doesn’t have to be perfect, nothing ever is – the people who think marriage has to be perfect are the ones who are doomed. In my world, it is the foundation that needs to be good.

I am excited for another year and then another year after that. and after that. and after that.

But we really did have a great anniversary weekend. It was simple and low key. We didn’t make a big deal over it.  We just spent time together – something that we agreed, we don’t do enough of. 

Friday I took a mental health day and Kyle told me to scratch the agenda – he had some stuff planned for the weekend, but that I had to be showered and ready to go by 3:00. Which immediately made my mind wonder what he was up to since we both agreed nothing big and no presents because we wanted to put the money we would spend on a gift towards our trip to the Dominican Republic {whenever that trip may happen}. 

I woke up Saturday morning and went to my 1st ever Zumba class {on my list of 30 things to do before I am 30} and learned that I was a REALLY white girl with zero moves and legit almost sprained my ankle. Not quite sure if I will go back or not.  I spent the rest of the morning & early afternoon bumming around and asked Kyle how I should dress for my surprise. He said, “wear what you would wear to Outback and something you would want your picture taken in.” ..... WHAT?! .....

Well. after getting ready and then driving all over creation, Kyle asked me to open his glove compartment and take out the pieces of paper and to look at them. Kyle was taking me to Medieval Times for dinner. A place we both love {me more than Kyle} and where we got engaged. {you can read the engagement story HERE}.  Kyle splurged and upgraded us to the “Royalty Package” and we got front row action.  We spent a lot of time making up life stories of the people who work there {the man who plays the king, his wife is a corporate lawyer. The green knight, he is the president of the drama club} since that is what was always do. And the best part ... our knight FINALLY won!! I was cheering so hard that I broke the banner that we got as part of the Royalty Package. And Kyle even bought the picture of us with the King, because “it was a special occasion”. Kyle really did well for the surprise dinner {mushy alert}, he never ceases to amaze me. It is the little things that make me realize how great he really is.

medievaltimes

Sunday we got up and went to see Oz and then just hung around the house. And then went out to dinner. And again, Kyle’s romantic side that never ceases to amaze me. But he had dinner reservations at the same time our wedding reception started – when we were really truly married. The real 365 days later.  We had a GREAT dinner and stuffed ourselves on desert and then went home to try and find room for cake and champagne. Needless to say – our wedding cake wasn’t bad. but it also was not good. but you have to eat the top {or part of it} out of tradition.

All together the weekend was simple and low key – just the way we like things!! =D

2 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary!!! I could not agree more with you on needing a strong foundation vs a perfect marriage. Its not always a Fairytale, but it sounds like you have an amazing view on it :)

    It sounds like an amazing weekend, and I hope this one was also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!! Kyle did awesome :)

    ReplyDelete