Saturday, September 26, 2009

I Ran A Race ( First Ever 10K! )

I participated and ran (and walked) in my first ever 10K this past Saturday with my friend Erin (who came running out of the womb). To be completely honest with you, it was pretty rough. I would say we (...well me making her) walked 75% of it. I started off strong, but right before the 1st mile I made us stop. Erin told me it is all a mental issue for me and had I pushed through and not stopped I probably would have been fine. It was also my first time ever not running with an Ipod and needless to say, I never want to do that again. No offense Erin, you were great company... but something about certain songs make me hustle and move it. Music excuses aside... I do not know why I was so out of my groove. We had a 13 minute and some pace which I have not had that slow of a pace in a while (recently I have been in the 11 min and some mile). And I wanted to walk so so so much more than I normally do - for some reason I just could not push myself to run longer/farther than I did. According to my Garmin, we finished in 1:21:21 ... but chip time was 1:22:(something). For some reason I think I said I wanted to knock it out in under or at a hour and a half ... so I guess I beat my goal/expectations.

Saturday was just not my day though. I woke up a little late. Didn't feel rushed since the start was around the corner from me, but still. Erin and I could not figure out how to use the chips for our shoes. I put my toast in the toaster and left it there (and realized it at the starting line) ... so I did not eat or drink before the race. Then I somehow dropped both my credit card and drivers license while walking to the start. At this time, I have my credit card but no license. I had issues breathing. My legs were tired and heavy. And there was no water past mile 3. It was humid too.

Needless to say. It was an accomplishment for me. Just covering 6.2 miles is a total accomplishment. It was great to see Erin after all the months, it was great to catch up, and we had some good laughs. But, it smacked me in the face saying that I will die in San Fran in a few weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Good post about your race!

    I remember a race that I ran in Peachtree city years ago, when I was going to UGA and living in Athens. I overslept, and was parking my car as the gun went off. I ran to the start line just as the last of the walkers was leaving, but I did get to join the race!

    The chips can be a bit perplexing. Out here in Honolulu, one of the race companies rents chips that are fastened to Velcro ankle bands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry I missed this! I have been MIA, so I apologize. Yay! You ran a 10k! We all have days like that when running seems almost impossible. It's almost as if you've never run before, lol. Great job sticking it out and finishing. At least you had a friend with you, that always makes it more fun.

    ReplyDelete